• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo 3200 cas2.5 VS Buffalo 3700 cas3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
I stared at newegg.com for several hours last night. During that time I read the forums a bit looking for a hint.

Buffalo 512mb 3200 cas2.5 ------ $89.50
VS.
Buffalo 521mb 3700 cas3 ------ $103

Both prices are shipped.

Should I spend the $$$ and get something better? I do not want to buy Geil or OCZ. I would like to run 400MHz at my motherboard's (8k3a+) turbo timing. I have no problem upping the voltage a few tenths to get there. Any opinions?

BTW I have been a bad senior lately. Posting dumb threads. :(

I think your right. Didnt newegg used to ship 3200 BH-5 modules but now they ship CH-5?

Yeah, I bought two of the 89.50 PC3200 modules, and they are CH5. They work fine for me, running 1:1 at 380MHz in dual channel at 2-2-2-5 with the Abit PAT-like optimization running on 2.97V. Performance is outstanding. I think they would hang in there to 400 but my cpu only has 190-193 fsb in it.

I've also used the PC3700 Buffalo. It is indeed BH5 and works well too. The pair of sticks I had did 450MHz at 2-2-2-5 with PAT like mode on the Asus P4P800 easily on 2.85V. I don't know how much more it had left in it, prob 10MHz at most.

They changed the part numbers of all the Buffalo modules at newegg for some reason. There used to be DD400-512/WC and DD466-512WB but now DD400-512 and DD466-512. I ordered my first PC3200 a week before the second, got the /WC version the first time, the non /WC model the second time. They have a different Buffalo part number on them, but the same sticker, model number (including the WC), chips, pcboard, and the spd contents are identical. They work fine together in the demanding dual channel environment. I think it's safe to say the DD466-512 they have in stock now is the same thing I used as DD466-512/WB.

*edit* sorry WB on the end there that was confusing. Yeah, I think the current DD466-512=DD466-512/WB and thus is BH5.

No promises, but there isn't any /WC labeled PC3700 on Buffalo's website. That's a good sign, although it could just be through lack of updating. If you do go ahead and purchase it, be sure to report on your results :)

I PMed someone here about some second hand Geil. I dont like Geils relation with OCsystem.com but since the duty has been payed and if it works as described I should be happy.

The bigger issue here is I need a new keyboard/mouse and Newegg has a special on a Microsoft keyboard/optical mouse for $28 I could use that $28 towards my RAM purchase and stick with my ball mouse for longer... Would make life easy if I bit the bullet and bought some Corsair :D

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
No promises, but there isn't any /WC labeled PC3700 on Buffalo's website. That's a good sign, although it could just be through lack of updating. If you do go ahead and purchase it, be sure to report on your results :)

I'm after WB PC3700 :). (BH-5) if I can get it...

What I got as DD400-512 was identical to my DD400-512/WC stick. I believe the current DD466-512 part is identical to the DD466-512/WB and thus is BH5.

I believe that the 3200 is CH5 while the 3700 is BH5 Winbond modules.
Maybe now but I bought earlier when it was less than $80 and I got PC 3200 with BH-5.
I PMed someone here about some second hand Geil. I dont like Geils relation with OCsystem.com but since the duty has been payed and if it works as described I should be happy.
Geil is awesome memory. I have DDR 500 on a retarded IS7-E (with 2.8V maximum) and it rocks 1:1 at 520 MHz at the specs 2.5-4-4-7, passing 5 hours of Prime95 (didn't try longer). That is absolutely the best I got with any memory.

Last edited:
I figure that anyone who buys the PC3200 will get what they are selling now rather than what they did in the past. I've bought two sticks of it in the last two weeks and it's CH5.

whatever2003 said:

Geil is awesome memory. I have DDR 500 on a retarded IS7-E (with 2.8V maximum) and it rocks 1:1 at 520 MHz at the specs 2.5-4-4-7, passing 5 hours of Prime95 (didn't try longer). That is absolutely the best I got with any memory.
I never said there was anything wrong with the RAM itself. I do not like buying things from a shady company or a company that has any relation to a shady company. GEIL has a relation to www.OCsystem.com OCSystem isnt a stand up company in my book and others have had major problems with them.

Dirty_Punk said:
how can buffalo ste BH5 (PC3700) to cas3 if any bh5 i've tested can't boot at cas3!!!!! boot only at 2 or 2.5 :D :rolleyes:

Funny thing. I just got my Antec TrueControl 550 yesterday and i am SOOOOO pleased with this PSU. I am able to tweak the voltages for each rail underload to compensate for the stress, and crank up the Case fans if it needs a little extra airflow.

Ok now back to topic. I was playing with my Rig and seeing what i could get out of my Ram before My SMD grabbers arrive (last thing i need to Vdimm my MB). As i was testing i noticed that my PC will not boot with my Buffalo ram running at CAS3. How odd is that considering they are rated at CAS3. I have yet to get my Ram to 466Mhz yet with only 2.85vdimm, although as i look back i did have my timings slowest when trying for max Mhz for my ram. I havn't had much time to OC my Rig with my new PSU. My poor Antec330 started to Fold like Gumby from the OC i had going for weeks 24/7.

As far as stable OC for my setup ive had my Buffalo ram at 250fsb 5:4 2-2-2-6, 267fsb 5:4 2.5-3-3-7 (current)

Back