• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nf7-s Doa????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndrusLRoc

Long time reader of the forums but this is my first post. :D I searched but couldn't find an answer. :-/ I just finished building a nf7-s system w/ xp2500+ (barton) and 512mb pc3200 corsair xms LL. The first time I booted it up, I was able to post and get into bios but it locked up... ever since that lock up, all I get when I power on is one long beep one long pause. I've cleared cmos to no avail. I even threw my old xp2200+ in there, no dice. Recently I've built a few systems with the NF7-M with no problems. I'm at a loss. Lemme know what ya think, tryin to keep myself on the abit bandwagon. :)

-Andy

Bad ram code. I had the same problem. Switch your ram to the second dimm slot. It worked for me. If it still doesn't boot rma your ram. BTW: I had 512mb of Corsair pc3200 ram. Same problem as you. Hope this helps

Yea, try it. I was real upset that my new mobo wouldn't work. I had tried everything. I had swapeed the ram and all. Then, I accidently (I was tired and upset) put the ram in dimm2. It worked!

blah, still a no go :-/ I would try a different speed ddr but all I have laying around is 3 sticks of pc3200 corsair xms. d'oh. Starting to look like I might have to order another mobo :( Wish I wouldn't have glued that hs on the southbridge. lol Excaliberpc looks like the best deal, if I can't get it working by tomorrow I'll probably do that... If that code is a bad mem code then I'm confused, I've thrown this ram in my other system an hour ago and it worked flawlessly. I'm baffled!

-Andy

Sorry about your problem, but don't give up! Her's some common sense stuff. Read it, you might have missed something.

You cleared the bios right? Did you try unhooking all the drives?
Did you swap the vid card? Did you remove all the pci cards? Does your cpu fan have a sensing line (RPM detector). If it doesn't, plug one in that does. It won't boot if it thinks the fan's not on. Make sure all the fans are running. Try pressing the "INSERT" key as it try's to boot. Soemtimes that works. Did you check that all the power connectors are plugged in? Did you smear thermal compound over any traces by accident?

BTW: I know that code is for bad ram. I did research. No on seemed to know how to fix it. What I told you is what worked for me.

Also, Your mobo shouldn't be DOA. It's giving you feed-back. If it doen't beep at all, then it's time to worry. Also, is it a rev2 or what? Mine is a rev2 for reference. Also, try all the dimm slots. Even the 3rd slow one. IF you have more than one stick of pc3200, then try different combo's. Try different sizes and brands. Some mobo's just don't like some ram. My nf7-s runs with 512mb of pc3200 low latency xms corsair in dimm2. That's what I know. Don't give up! Also, try posting in the AMD cpu section. More people are there. I know you're not supposed to, but this is serious and you need all the help you can get.

I'm gonna give everything another once over, it's probably something simple, gonna try another vid card tomorrow. It's sittin with no drives right now, still long beep long pause, it booted the first time with no fans hooked to the mobo (watercooled) gonna plug a fan in tomorrow, don't have one right now with a 3pin connector and I just don't feel like soldering right now ;) Will check back in tomorrow! Thanks for all the help!!!!

-Andy

AndrusLRoc said:
it booted the first time with no fans hooked to the mobo (watercooled) gonna plug a fan in tomorrow, don't have one right now with a 3pin connector and I just don't feel like soldering right now ;) Will check back in tomorrow! Thanks for all the help!!!!

-Andy

the fan protection is turned off by default (atleast it was on the few NF7's i've worked on).

i had a problem with my corsair PC3200LL too. the problem was the motherboard didn't auto-detect the ram properly, more specifically the ram timings, it's too agressive so i had to set it manually using a slower stick of ram. (the strange part is i can clear the CMOS now and it boots right up, even though it auto detects the ram timings)

good luck :)

You're welcome andy.

Thanx John, didn't know the fan protection was off by default. Anyway, I wonder how many people have had problems with this mobo/ram combo?

Believe it or not, it was due to the fan not being plugged into the cpu fan header. I plugged one in and it booted right up... then I went to check that setting, and it was disabled... that leads me to believe something was corrupted. Anyhow, it detected my 2500+ at 550Mhz x 10 easy fix. Now to reinstall windows and hopefully not run into any more problems. BTW I did have the memory in the second slot, maybe that had something to do with it also. Time to tweak. Thanks again!!!

-Andy

Glad to know you got it worked out! And you're certainly welcome for the help. That's why the forums are here.

Once again: Welcome to the forums!

Back