• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7N400 Pro2 400 mHz memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

derek

Registered
I picked up one of these as a replacement for a Asus board that died. Anyway does this bioard really support 400 mHz memory in dual channel mode? So far I cannot get this to run the Corsair TwinX1024 I bought for it. I have tried an 1800+ and 2600+ and at the stock settings both die within an hour using the sissandra burn in program. I did find I have to use slots 2 and 3 for the memory to even get it to boot.

I have looked around and it looks like the only way to get these boards to work in dual channel mode is to really slow the timings down quite a bit, which would seem to me that this board cannot really handle this ram at stock settings. Running sync at 333 seems fine, but async is the problem.

I have tried the F2 and F3 bioses, but they appear to be the same. I am wondering about the fan on the northbridge which stops under windows, could that be a problem?

I don't know if I got a lemon or not, but compared to the A7N8X(?) I am very dissapointed, at least it always would run stock settings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Derek

Why are you running ASync?? What C[U do you have??
Fan shouldnt stop under windows, mine (built for someone else)did with F1 BIOS but was OK with later BIOS,s. Saw another cure for the fan stopping so if I find it I will post back.
Hood

EDIT
Look here.

Last edited:
I have an 1800+ and 2600+ tried both in async mode(200 mhz)

Thank you for the link on the nb fan fix.

Derek

I run the same memory as you do and the best settings are to run your memory "by spd" if your FSB is 200 and "auto" for other FSB settings. Check my signature for the correct settings if your memory is Corsair XMS LL PC3200.:)

I also had problems getting the board configured properly. Using some handy online util, I figured that running an XP 2500+ Barton the multiplier should be set at 12.5, running a bus of 333. But, it seems I had to turn the little lower CLK_SPD switch to ON, set the multiplier to 11, and use the configure by speed in BIOS to get everything setup properly.

Yes it funky, and will take a little fumbling.

never run async on an amd steup - it does nothing but hurt the performance. keep it in syce at 200mhz fsb.

as a sdie note, my board doesnt run async either.

Hi guys,
New guy here, I would like to add some things to this discussion.
First I wanted to post this:http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=237991

My apology if this has allready been posted, But as I look around it is obvious that many are not taking into acct the variables in the nforce2 chipset and how it adresses ram.

And also wanted to post my system setup if it helps anyone.

So my xp1700= 1.4ghz, now xp2700=2.2ghz
11x200
My bios settings :
sys performance: expert
Fsb frequency: 200
cpu interface: aggressive
memory timings: 11-2-2-2
agp frequency: I locked it at 66
thermal throttling: disabled

vcore +10
dim +0.2
agp normal
cpu voltage 1.85v

This is on the Preachers Modded bios.
I would pay special attention to the ram timings, as the standared school of thought on ram timings have changed for the moment with regards to nforce2 chipset boards.

Personally I have had more problems with nforce2 boards when using the default bios settings, Ive allways had better results setting the paramaters setting the boards up manually.

So you may want to especially consider setting the ram timings manually rather than by spd or aggressive.

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess the bottom line on these nforce boards is that letting the bios select the settings may not work. And that sync is the safest way to go.

Derek

Back