• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone here with a 120mm vantec stealth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I own a Vantec Stealth 120mm fan. I have not installed it, nor tested it beyond making sure that it works, so I can't tell you whether it whines or not. However, I do[/d] have four 80mm Stealth fans, and they have what might be described as a whine. To me it sounds more like a drone, almost like a (quiet) hydraulic lift. It's fairly annoying at full speed, tolerable at medium speed, and practically silent at low speed (using a Lian Li three step intake controller). Even so, I keep them in because they're usually drowned out by my hard drives and CPU fan.

i have 3 120mm vantec stealths in my Liteon FS020, 2 exhaust, and one intake on my radiator with a Evercool 120mm aluminum fan pulling on the other side of the radiator, and the vantec steathls are silent, the loudest thing in the case is the evercool fan, and its not really loud. You have to put your ear right up next to the vantecs to hear anything and alls you do hear when you do that is a faint buzz.

squeakygeek said:
I keep my 48dba smartfan II running at full speed 24/7 and it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't be able to sleep without it. Thats about 3.3x as loud as the vantec stealth. I dunno what it is with you silent freaks.

But I can't hear the voices in my head over all the fans! :eek:

hahah

I keep my 48dba smartfan II running at full speed 24/7 and it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't be able to sleep without it. Thats about 3.3x as loud as the vantec stealth. I dunno what it is with you silent freaks.

i really really cant stand loud fans...thats just me...but dam 48db squeek??? thats hardcore

I've used one, no whine at all. I loved it, other than I put it in the wrong place...

I have 2. They used to be in my system, but then I moved them over to my brother's when I got some Panaflos.

They are quiet, end of story. A "high pitched" noise may occur if there is an obstruction on the intake side of the fan. An example would be if it was being used as an intake on the lower front of the case and there wasn't enough openings in the front. The fan would be trying to pull more air than is available causing this noise. This is from my experience, of course.

bigsoomo,

Welcome to the forums!

I can't speak for the 120mm stealths, but I did find a bit of a whine to the 80mm versions. It wasn't a loud whine, but it was perceptible and fairly constant. I ended up getting Panaflo LOs instead, which get approximately the same performance but are appreciably quieter. (Read approximately inaudible.)

As I understand it, Panaflo does make a 120mm fan, although I'm not familiar with its specs or availability at the moment. However, if you can try to find a 120mm fan with fluid bearings, it'll probably be worth your while. Otherwise, you might consider running at lower speeds, as others have suggested above. At 5V, for instance, many 120mm fans still give fairly good airflow and are quite difficult to hear. At 7V, they give a bit better performance (and are probably more reliable, as not all 120mm fans will spin up at that speed), and still very quiet.

-- Paul

I have 2 Stealths: one intake and one exhaust on my SLK3700AMB Antec case. They are both overcome volume-wise by the low speed TMD fan on my Vantec Aeroflow (which kinda has a whining drone to it). Even if I unplug the CPU fan with the system running, the Stealths are barely audible, with no whine and produce enough airflow so the temp warning doesn't go off (I've only had the nerve to keep it unplugged for a minute though). I'd recommend them. Although if you have some extra bucks, space, and time...volt modding (or a bay bus) a 38mm deep 120 would work better.

Back