• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Sucks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

ok that was a teaser to get you here:D

But, I seem to be having problems with them. I have a rig(Sig) that runs beautifully, but I also have a few(8) rigs at stock that lock up frequently. I have a lot of Intel(20) also - no lock ups. I'm beginning to thing there is something in the t-bred's and bartons that is ...instable. To be quite honest I think it is in the SSE.

There are known problems in folding with them forcing the SSE and I think there is other proof that these processors get unstable when accessing the SSE instruction set.

Have you had any problems with your t-bred or barton?

ps. T-birds(3) are all stable for me...no SSE though. Boy they run hot though.

Of the two dozen Tbred/Barton rigs I've built in the past year, only one has had that problem and it was due to a bad stick of RAM. How are the temps? Any other hardware in each machine that's the same?

~THT

I have built many AMD rigs and have never had stability issues with any of them. Only issue I have encountered is the known SSE issue with the F@H client (which is not the fault of the chip).

It has nothing to do with motherboards or AMD. This problem is with a single BETA application, one that is also known to stress a system more than even Prime95, and run the CPU hotter than anything else. It doesn't affect everyone. I have 3 Tbreds and have never lost a WU or had a lock-up from running the beta folding client with the -forceasm flag. Of course I don't overclock any of them much above 2150 Ghz either, and keep them below 48C load....

I've been folding on my overclocked Barton @2500MHz for about 2-1/2 months now with no lockups other than from heat related issues. I am using the beta Folding app and forcing SSE.

wow, you got some poorly built rigs man, no offense or anything but i do this for a living. Out of the few thousand computers i've built over 60% of them were AMD and maybe there might be 15 machines i've built that had a stability issue. Its usually a case of bad corrupted hardware somewhere in the system. Drivers are also an issue and firmware updates.

Well, there are differences in the computers so I do not think it is a hardware related issue.
It only appears to happen when using the SSE instruction set. Like when folding. Yes, some don't seem to be effected but a good portion are.

Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the AMD SSE.
Temps are great on all these computers so it is not temp related. It is not overclocking because the problem occurs with the stock rigs. The Oc'ed one in my sig has really never locked.
Just makes me wonder...

Well it is a known issue with the F@H client and SSE on amd chips. Have you actually experienced SSE issues with any other application?

It isn't anything wrong with how he is "building" his systems....all it is is that the Bartons/Tbred 'B's have problems w/SSE. They seem to have some stabililty issues even at stock or below.

This is why the 1700+'s are nice to fold in, yet sometimes they will crash a wu becuase of the SSE "gene" that all Tbred B's/Bartons INHERIT.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Back