• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4ghz AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would venture to say any Barton or Tbred at 2 Ghz with the FSB up to 190+ would be a good comparison. The P4 would still have better memory bandwidth but the AMD would have enough other advantages to make up for that at that speed.

Last edited:
It's a choice between $83 2500+ Barton and $49 1700+ T-Bred B.

They overclock to bewteen 2800+ and 3200+ speeds on average.
(Around 2.3 AMD GHz)

c627627 said:

1. $83 free shipping Barton 2500+
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e_Code=M&Product_Code=120728&Category_Code=FS

(or $85 at more reliable newegg.com)

2. Still the cheapest guaranteed T-Bred B: $49 free shipping 1700+
http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=267

3. Although Newegg 1700+ are more often than not A's, you know what, I would now gamble on the $51 1800+ at newegg. They're shipping 1800+ DLT3C B's people report all over the place.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...343&manufactory=1028&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

I would actually go for the $51 1800+ if ordering from newegg.com. There's still a high chance of getting an A core if you order the 1700+ from there. Or you can get a guarunteed good stepping from excaliberpc.com of 1700+, 1800+, or 2500+ for $15-$20 more than the prices on newegg.

However you slice it, if you have Nforce 2, high quality ram, and overclock, you get the equivalent of a 2.8 - 3.0 Ghz P4. And in some application you out-perform even that, while in other you do a little worse. Depends on what you're doing. P4 has faster memory bandwidth and also SSE2 optimization, AMD has better raw processing power and is less expensive (average savings of $100-170 when overclocking is a concern on both systems).

It's a chipset. Want cheap with sound? Epox 8RDA+.
Best? Abit NF7-S

No quality onboard sound? Abit NF7.
Look into Soltek nForce2 as well.

i thought the only difference between the NF7 and NF7-S was serial ata, dont they use the exact same onboard sound?

Firewire, Serial ATA (RAID) and Soundstorm sound on S version only.
(NF7 does have onboard sound but it's not as good.)

The only difference between the sound on each is that the S has a SPDIF connector to gain Soundstorm certification. The quality of each should be the same.

I think there's more to it than just the SPDIF connector.
I think the actual sound quality is different.

When I was buying a mobo, I didn't want to buy a sound card because I thought this guy was preaching the truth:

Originally posted by Mac:

Without a doubt and Creative should be panicking as it tries to figure out how it is going to survive. Consider that "Sound Blaster" has been the de facto standard for years and is the goose that lays the golden eggs for Creative. With the increasing appearance of quality sound being integrated into the motherboards, the Creative Labs we know is being seriously threatened.

Thus, we see the Audigy2 being priced at $130 which I believe is an attempt at niche marketing and "perceived" value. Which basically means, there is a certain market niche that will pay the $ for specific features. Or it sells on the premise that if it costs significantly more than other products, then it must be better. Abit has played the same game with its "power user" boards which omitted sound but still were priced at the high-end. However, the newer boards now have sound, lan... you name it.

To put it into perspective, consider that you can buy a complete retail motherboard, loaded, with excellent 6 channel sound for less than what the Audigy2 costs. Systems integrators have already moved on because the mass market doesn't care.

Once the cold economic reality sets in with the enthusiast crowd, Creative has to either drop its prices or it will be forced out of the mass sound card business because there isn't going to be one. I can see a very near future that unless you have unique specific sound requirements, a standalone sound card will become as irrelevant as the old I/O cards we used to put in our systems before parallel, serial and IDE ports were integrated into the motherboard.

So I researched the sound quality on nForce2s.
I found that all Pro or + nForce2 versions use MCP-T+AC'97 codec, Avance Logic ALC650 except for Chaintech which uses PCI Audio, C-Media CMI8738/PCI-6ch-MX which is not as good as ALC650.

That's why chaintech 7NJS is not the way to go: since it's the only board to use CMI sound. All others use Avance Logic.

Avance Logic ALC650 is better than C-Media CMI8738 both in features and quality.

Back