• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD retail fans vibrate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

larrymoencurly

Does AMD use fans that vibrate more than average?

The one for my retail boxed Athlon XP1800+ seems to, as did the one for my previous retail AMD, a 500 MHz K6-2 (five different ones, all Deltas, all replaced by AMD).

The vibration isn't directly audible, but it sometimes makes the case resonate. I get no vibration with my P4 fan, despite it being larger and faster.

That's odd. I still have the fan from my retail 1800+ (Palomino, bought a year ago, last March. Didn't notice any resonating, but which fan is it, do you know? Is it black or green?

I wonder if you can unscrew the fan from the heatsink assembly, and slip some rubber underneath it if it's too much of a problem. Might be something to look into, grommets or cut up some mousepads.

I had a problem with a vibrating machine a couple of years ago and I went and retightened all of my motherboard mounting screws. It made a pretty decent improvement. In the end though I ditched the HSF because after all of my efforts I just could not totaly eliminate the vibration (which transfered from my case to my desk and I could easily feel it if I touched my foot to the leg of my desk!)

Back