• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd 533mhz restarting automatically

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

I was given a 533mhz AMD a few days ago and I'm setting it up as a dedicated folder. My problem now is it's rebooting within a minute or two(if I'm lucky) of being turned on. It's a compaq, yeah I know, go ahead and laugh, hehe) so everything is at stock speeds. I just installed XP Pro this morning so I'm having this problem on a fresh install. Any ideas what might be causing this?

It shouldn't be the psu. The computer was in working condition before it got to me. I don't have a clue what's wrong with it, I'll work on it some other day when I don't mind spending the day mad :)

have u checked to see if the heatsink on it is cloged with dirt?
just a thought overheating could make them restart

XP is VERY picky on system specs #1. Microsoft recommends a 300mhz proc i think might be 500 i cant remember. They also recommend 128 or 256mb of ram, which in a sense is semi-slow for xp.

Most system reboots/lockups happen when there isnt a proper driver for some older type of hardware. Think about it like this, your pc was made WAY before xp came out. Even though it should have drivers for it, its not xp certified or whatever their driver authinticity thing is called. If i were you, i'd check the compatability list and then i'd work my way up from the mobo. Making sure everything has firmware updates and updated drivers etc.

Another vote here for heat. If we are talking about a K6-2, they are hot at default speed and voltage, much less fully loading running FAH.
Unless you've applied some fresh, who knows what, if anything, it has for thermal grease.

Pop that heatsink off and take a look.

It wasn't folding. It never ran long enough without locking up for me to download folding. I'll try again later to see if I can do anything with it.

Could you have the Blaster worm? :p

Also, yeah, check the temperatures, see if the CPU heatsink fan is siezed up or something - that could cause it to overheat.

Failing that, try a fresh reinstall....

Hey, does it crash if you leave it in, say, the BIOS, or is it only in windows?

n3xu5 said:
XP is VERY picky on system specs #1. Microsoft recommends a 300mhz proc i think might be 500 i cant remember. They also recommend 128 or 256mb of ram, which in a sense is semi-slow for xp.

Most system reboots/lockups happen when there isnt a proper driver for some older type of hardware. Think about it like this, your pc was made WAY before xp came out. Even though it should have drivers for it, its not xp certified or whatever their driver authinticity thing is called. If i were you, i'd check the compatability list and then i'd work my way up from the mobo. Making sure everything has firmware updates and updated drivers etc.

Actually, win xp cores less about sys specs than win 98 =) It can actually use generic stuff better.... No it doesnt actually "care" and run bad on purpose if you put it on a slow machine.. Ive had it on a 433mhz celeron. w/64mb ram. and crappy 4900rpm HDD. slow as %$$#@ but it ran and didnt complain.... My friend said he saw someone stick it on a P100.. never got that far and was REALLY (I wonder why :rolleyes: ) slow... but it ran =)

n3xu5 said:

I don't think XP is that picky. It's running perfectly fine on my Thinkpad 600 (PII-233, about 5 or 6 years old). I didn't even need to install any drivers.

i have a compaq 533 k6-2 (well, actually, my ex uses it for internet browsing now, i didnt have any use for it, but anyway...) it came with an inadaquite cpu cooler, no case ventilation whatsoever (just the psu fan for exaust) but it runs win2k fine so i doubt xp would be a problem.

my first vote would be a heat issue, after that id think psu. i couldnt run mine at 550 untill i put on a better cooler

Back