• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which compromise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamespetts

I'm trying to overclock my P4c 2.4, and the RAM appears to be the limiting factor. It will POST and run fine in Prime95 for at least an hour with no errors at 250FSB at either 2:3 or 4:5 (I'm not sure which; it was set automatically), but at 1:1, it won't even POST at 1:1 250FSB without extremely relaxed timings. The relevent parts of my system are as follows:

P4 2.4c
Asus P4C800E - Deluxe
2x OCZ Gold PC3700 Dual Channel.

It will POST but not boot into Windows at 1:1 250FSB at some relaxed timings and will only boot into Windows at 1:1 250FSB at CL3-4-4-8-8. Would I have better overall speed by cutting the memory divider and using more aggressive timings, or by leaving it at 250FSB 1:1 with the relaxed timings?

Prime95 is still running now, so I don't even know if it'll be stable at those settings. Are these the sort of results that one would expect from that memory on that motherboard with that sort of overclock, or am I doing something wrong? I've increased the VDIMM to the motherboard's maximum of 2.85v.

Back