• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questiong about videocard HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyl0r

General question about videocard HSF

Hey guys/gals, I had a question about putting a small heatsink on the back of videocards. I noticed in one of the other threads that some people had put a small ramsink on the back of their videocard's GPU. I was wondering how they attached it? (like w/thermal tape or epoxy) And I was also wondering if this was risky as far as shorting the bridges on the core?

I just got a set of 8 ramsinks from one of the links (victor off of eBay) posted in one of the threads, but I can only use 7 because one ram chip is right below the power connector on my Radeon 9500pro and I don't want to bend the connector up to make the sink fit, so after seeing all the pretty pictures I wanted to see about putting the extra on the back of the GPU.

Thanks for any help!

(*edit was for title)

One thing you need to make sure of if you're going to try that is that there aren't any components on the backside of your card (I've got some resistors where the backside of my card's GPU is.) and that there are no exposed parts of the circuit board for the metal sink to short out on. If it's all clear then you could go with AA as the thermal interface and crazy glue in the corners to hold the sink down. I think you might get results just as beneficial if you went with just a fan on the topside instead of a sink. Just put rubber feet (to prevent shorting and to give some space between the fan and card for the air to flow through) on the bottom of an old P1 erra CPU fan and let it rest on the top of the card. If you're worried about it shifting or if you move your system alot you could use hot glue on the rubber feet to keep the fan in place. There are shrouds made specifically for putting a fan on the backside of a vid card but IMHO they're not really worth the money when you could easily make one yourself.

Oh, hey! I like that idea of putting a fan on the backside of the card with little rubber feet. I'm gonna do that instead. Thanks!

:D :D hi, i have a ati aiw 8500dv it has a fan on the bottom, so what i did i took a hard drive cooler that has two, made be 30mm fans on it and it's mounted on a braket. then i mounted four plastic flat leg on it and then i let it just sit on top of the card..........

In my first rig, after I upgraded my heatsink, I just set the old fan from the P4 heatsink on the back of the video card. Quick and easy.

steve

I agree with what everyone else is saying, people have shown decent results with a fan blowing on the back side rather than risk shorting bridges out with a heat sink.

Back