• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slk-800(a)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quick69GTO

Well guys, I just had an interesting weekend concerning my AMD 2100+/ SLK-800(A)/ Smart fan II combo.
I just recently purchased a Pioneer A06 DVD burner and immediately started to do some video encoding to burn to DVD.
I got concerned with the 2100+ because it was running at 42C idle/ 49C while encoding.
I thought these temps were a little high so I bought one of those over clocker ducts from the following link: http://www.svc.com/ovcokitsi.html
After installing the duct kit, I fired up the system (case open) and the temps did not change.
Drat! I wasted 20 bucks.
Then I had a wild thought. Maybe the whole HSF and duct combo was a little to heavy for the mounting clip (or my MOBO).
So I placed my index finger on the bottom of the Smart fan and ever so lightly pushed up.
Presto! The temp immediately dropped from 42C to 34C.
I removed the duct, and again I got the same results.
The SLK-800(A) is to heavy and not sitting squarely on the CPU.
For the moment, I have a zip tie supporting the HSF combo (my MOBO will not support an 800U). Needless to say this is a ghetto mod and as soon as my water cooling setup arrives, all will be right in my world.
Moral of this story:
Try giving your SLK-800(A) HSF combo a slight push up (or lay your case on it’s right side) and see if your temps drop.
If they do; it’s ghetto time. If they don’t; you have a better SLK (or MOBO) than I have.
Later.

push up....? i don't get what you are doing... are you lifting the heatsink slightly off of the cpu? and why can't your mobo use the 800u?

The SLK-800(U) uses a mount similar to a Pentium 4 mounting assembly.
It uses screws or studs thru the motherboard.
My motherboard does not have the holes needed to mount such an assembly.
Mr. schismspeak is correct. The HSF assembly sags to the point that it touches only the bottom part of the CPU. I have to push up slightly to square it on the CPU.
The water cooling setup I’m waiting for uses an adjustable clip to mount the water block.
This will allow me to adjust the clip a tad tighter (short of breaking the chips core) so it sits square on the CPU.
Besides, I’m sure the water block is lighter than the 800(A).

Zip ties to hold down the heat sink to the CPU is bad imo. Its ok to hold the fan on to the heat sink but i woudlent do it to hold the heat sink to the CPU.

he's not ziptie the heatsink to the mobo.. he's using the ziff socket and using zip ties for a lil extra support.. zipties alone cannot hold a slk-800 to the socket =d

threeput, yeh, that’s stock speeds.
To the other gentlemen (or ladies), the zip tie was added for additional support.
It’s all water under the bridge now.
I installed an Aquarius II (cheap, I know, but effective none the less.)water cooling setup and everything is perfect now………..and damn quiet too!
I originally used the probe for the SmartFan II and it would run anywhere from 4000 to 5000rpm (LOUD!), even after supporting HSF with that zip tie.
After installing the Aquarius II, I switched all my case fans to 5volts, and now I have a system that’s ultra quiet.
The CPU now runs at 33C idle/38C while encoding (full load) and the case temp hovers around 30C.
The case temp may seem a little high, but to me, it’s a fair trade off for less noise.
Needless to say, I’m a very happy now.

Update:
Well. It seams the Aquarius II water cooling system lasted a little less than a month (it's now October 15th).
The pump started making un-natural noises so I had to go back to the SLK-800(A) and SmartFan II combo.
I carefully set up the SLK and the temp still dropped by 3 degrees when slightly pushing up on the HSF. I was able to use zip ties for the extra support without them being noticed.
At idle, the temps are 34C with the fan at 3300RPM (probed). Under load, the temps are at 38 to 42C with the fan at 4500RPM.
I reverted back to 12 volts on all the case fans so now I’m back to a loud system.
I give two thumbs down to Themaltake and its Aquarius II water cooling setup.
At least it could have lasted a little longer than a month.
Next purchase: a new motherboard that supports the SLK-800(U).

Back