• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what does ram have to do with overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sucky noob

can someone please explain to me what ram has to do with a good overclock? i have 768mb of pc2100 ddr with a crappy ecs mobo, ive been able to o/c from 1.7 to 2.0ghz, and i was wondering if i could optimize my ram and get a little more out of it. my bios only allows me to change the speed between 133, 166, and 100mhz. is there any hope?

Basically, memory is in sync with the processor. For each CPU cycle, there will be a cylce of memory. Say your memroy is rated DDR200, that means it's default timings are 100 fsb. If your 1.7ghz mhz runs default at 100 fsb, then the memory and CPU line up nicely.

However, your memory is rated at DDR266, which means it lines up nicely when the CPU is at 133fsb (you've actually been underclocking your memory all along). When you upped the fsb of your p4, you also upped the frequency of your memory (both would be 133 fsb). So now your memory is running at DDR266 speeds.

Where memory selection comes in is in the rated speed (of the memory). You'd have a hard time getting up to 166 fsb with DDR200 memory, since that would be DDR333 speeds. However, if you put DDR333 in the system, that memory would be perfectly in sync with your CPU's overclocked frequency at 166fsb. Hope I haven't lost you.

Furthermore, you relax the memory timings to push the memory further. That's basically allowing the memory to not work so fast moving information around, which will allow the memory ultimately to work at faster frequency. This is what you'd have to alter if you didn't want to buy new memory (and it wold be iffy since 133 to 166 is a considerable jump).

This can get more complicated when you throw in CPU/Memory ratios, which is where you can underclock memory in order to get more fsb.

You may want to post in the ECS motherboards section and ask about an overclocking BIOS for your particular motherboard, we'll need to know the model number. This may allow you some further flexibility in overclocking, with additional speed steps, like 138 143 145 147 150

regards,

Road Warrior

Back