• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel VX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AtomicWind

Registered
Anyone know if the Intel VX memory controller supports PC66? I know that it won't support PC100 and the motherboard is pretty old. It's a Pentium 200mhz.

This is what I have been finding on google and it doesnt say anywhere what PC XXX it would be. I found the closest match to my motherboard at this site http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/810.htm i really have no clue on this ram since PC100 wont work in it and another computer that takes PC100 wont read the 32mb the computer came with. Any Ideas on what ram this chipset would take would be GREATLY appreciated.

The VX took pc66 AND pc100 ram. It depends on the what the motherboard was built to handle. Using a p200 you would need pc66 ram for it.

You might want to find out if the motherboard takes ecc ram or not, as that might be causeing the problem your having.

I remember the VX using 72-pin SIMMs. Didn't the TX chipset introduce pc 66 dimms? Hmmmm... it's hard to remember 1997, you know?

I know the TX was the first UltraDMA. How about telling us what model of motherboard you have? (usually listed on the side of the last PCI slot).

Here is some more information on the VX:

My motherboard uses Intel 430VX chipset and I have a 64 MB DIMM module installed on it. I've bought a 128 MB module and the board just counted 32 MB. The hardware store owner where I've bought this memory told me that I couldn't install a 64 MB or 128 MB memory module at this motherboard that I have. Is that really true?

The Intel 430VX chipset only recognizes 128 MB of RAM memory. Besides that, only the first 64 MB are cacheable (i.e., used by the memory cache; the PC loses performance when memory locations above 64 MB is accessed at this motherboard). The sollution is to change your motherboard with one that the chipset can access 256 MB or higher, like the Intel 430TX chipset and VIA chipsets.

http://www.hardwaresite.net/faqchipset.html

Most VX motherboards had both SIMM and DIMM slots. Unfortunately the Packard Bell motherboard referenced above isn't one of them.

It's an old IBM 300GL System board. It does say on a sticker that it can handle 2x64mb DIMM and DIMMs are all it has. No SIMMS. It has the configuration DIP Switch for the Bus/CPU speed. Says at the bottom of the sticker SDRAM/EDO DIMM Upgrade configuration. Anything beyond that I do not know. Really old and don't have the manuals for it. :(

Back