• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water or extreme or nothing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy143

I wanna know if there is anything to do with the machine that cools up the water that everyone has in their house. I d'ont know would it be possible do dissasemble it and make a new box that would look cleaner to use the thing has a reservoir that cools water or are there anything extreme tha we can do with that. Or maybe nothing!!!lol
THank you

Those are spring drinking water dispensers, they filter the water and cool them. Yes they are very good for a small water chiller as most get the water temps to -10C or colder.

I personally dont know a whole lot about water chillers, but i know that people have used those many times for a water chiller setup.

The problem with most of those cheaper home water chillers is that they are not very powerful. They usually just have something like a 60W peltier cooling element in them. Modern CPUs dissipate around 80W or so, so a typical home model water chiller would not "keep up" with the heat from them. Thus if it was your only cooling solution, the water temperature would quickly climb until your CPU crashed.

Typically for direct peltier cooling you need to consider using a device that can handle 50% more than your CPU can put out, so you need something that can handle 120W or better.

People here have had success using water coolers, however these have usually been higher capacity commercial models. Sometimes you can by the working parts out of those for very little money on eBay.

regards,

Road Warrior

They also turn off and on (the chilling) in intervals.. Not good for steady temps I would imagine.

Yes I guess it would help a bit if your main cooling device was ahead of it, like a radiator/heatercore so most of the heat was lost out of the water before it got to the chiller, then you might see some extreme cooling action, provided that your main cooling device was pretty good at keeping temperatures fairly low by itself.

Road Warrior

Well you can only try it. Try it on a day when the dewpoint is low though, otherwise it might do nasty things inside your PC with condensation. IF that test is good, then insulate your lines and water block etc, so you can run it full time without the condensation problem.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back