• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MD 1800+ Too Hot, But why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD-BurnOutFans

Registered
AMD 1800+ Too Hot, But why?

Im having some problems with my computer, and i'm not sure why...I have a amd 1800+ and when I bought this computer I didn't really know much about computers...I have since gotten into them and noticed a problem. At start up and in detections (eg. sysmark2001, MSI FuzzyLogiC, sysinfo) it said I was running at 1200 mhz..So, if I have a 133mhz FSB and a multiplier of 11.5 we get 1550 or somewhere abouts. Now, thats a lot faster than 1200. So I went into the BIOS and checked it out, and my FSB was clocked at 100mhz. I checked my motherboards manual and it said it defaulted it to 100mhz and you should change it to your chips recommended speed. So I got some app's (SpeedFan, FuzzyLogic) and they say I idle at 54C main...With the side case off as my brother was using the usb ports and was lazy and A long story short it was off. I put it back on and the heat goes up so ok I take it back off.. I put the FSB to 133 from 100 and it locks after running some tests.. I check the BIOS and its hot, I cant remember how hot but it was hot. So I put it back down to 100. I know when I put it up to 110, and I Idle at 59-60, something is wrong, cuz that temp is too high right?!I dunno whats wrong.. It looks like I have 3 fans in there, and It's not extremely hot in this room, and it detects the sys fan at around 5000 rpm..These components are stock btw, and there isnt much dust in there. Help please??

Last edited:
i am in the same situation...

im not sure yet... but im going to look into those pads in the corner... maybe its too high? and the heatsink isnt making contact with the die?

cuz my temps are also very high... but dunno what it is right now cuz im redoing everything.... i jsut know idle was around 50*C

everyone says that tbirds are hot.... but i put the sk7 and 80mm panaflo on it, and its running prime at 46*C

so... i hope others can help us figure it out

Just wondering AMD-Burntoutfans if you actually have an Athlon XP 1800+ because there are some motherboards out there with a Duron 1200 soldered to the board, and they call it something like a Pro 1800+ with a PR based on the celeron. So therefore it would be no wonder it is having problems at 133. If it's an ECS K7SOM or K7SEM then that's what the problem is.

sifu quoc
Yes tbirds do run hot and such temperatures are not unusual for a Tbird overclocked as much as yours. Telling us you have a panaflow on that sink doesn't really tell us a lot since their output varies according to model, if you've got a 30fm one, then 46C is awesome if you've got a 50cfm one, then it's average, if you've got an 80cfm one, then you've got a bit of a hot chip, it can happen.

I would say that the heatsink is on worng. So to correct it you should take the heatsink of clean off all the thermal paste and apply a small amount of high-quality Artic Silver 3 or the likes there of. The Artic Silver 3 because of its high quantity of silver will provide you with the best performance your heatsink can give you.

Thank You,
Daniel

do you think the pads on the corner are too high? i know i've aligned the heatsink correctly...

i guess ill jsut go home after work and mess with it some more...

ive done it multiple times... and did reapply the as3... and yes, i did clean the hs and die....

im thinking about maybe trimming the pads now if it doesnt work 1 more time....

o... im talking about my 1800+ dual setup for the temp problem here... my tbird 1gig @1.4 gig is ok.... 46*C under prime

my dual 1800+ is the one that is giving me problems...

i think the mobo sensors are wrong....

i touched my iwll tbird at full load, and it reports 48*C

and my dual 1800+ at full load, and it reports 52*C and 57*C
but it feels much cooler

case temps are the same... about 34*C open case... my room is hot....

ill read the mobo forums and smp forums later....

The heatsink being cooler may or may not prove anything. If the heatsink isn't making good contact, it will be cooler because the heat isn't being transferred to it.

hmmm.... good point i suppose... after i dl all the updates, i will chekc agian

ok....

i tried taking the pads off... and its still the same temps....

i was scared, cuz i didnt want to crack the core....

i wonder whats going on with my chips...

voltage is only 1.46V rite now....

Last edited:
The heatsink?

So you think I should see if My heatsink is aligned properly? I'm not sure if I have any thermal paste on me..Do you know where to get some? Btw I live in Canada. Do you know of a place with some instructions on how to set the heatsink properly? How could I tell if the mobo's sensors are wrong? Any help would help me a lot. Thanks

AMD-BurnOut,
Assuming RoadWarrior's guess is incorrect (about having a Duron 1200 renamed to "Pro 1800+"), you need to get some thermal grease and try reseating the heatsink. There are plenty of places in Canada and anywhere that you can get thermal grease. Any electronics store will have it (not the top-grade stuff, but it will work better than none at all), and you can buy the good stuff (Arctic Silver, Ceramique, etc.) online or at respectable computer stores.

When you're reseating the heatsink, just make sure it's not touching any plastic parts, and that the base (what I mean is the part that's raised to make contact with the CPU core) is centered on the CPU die.

make sure the heatsink is on the correct way as to clear the ziff socket , it has a little step up , just a thought
I smoked a 1.2 giger last year cuz of that , just because it clips in easier on THAT side doesnt mean it goes on THAT side , some hsf you can change the direction of clip.

MSI boards tend to report temperatures much higher than those of other boards. My comp's running perfectly fine at 63 "degrees" load, and it has been for a couple of months already.

As long as you're stable and not seeing any smoke, you should be fine. Just don't let the temp meter go to 70 or something like that... that would be excessive. Anything reported under 65 should be fine, though, as long as it's stable.

Ok

So do you think I should try to go to 133 as is? Or try to fix my heatsink (ill go to my local store, and get some paste) than try it? My mobo is an MSI MS-6380E if that helps?

Do you have the latest bios? I know when I got my Albatron it did read 15c hotter than what it actually was , so that may help , other than that just double check your hsf and try it
Good Luck

Damn?

I went to check for the latest BIOS version. but I dont understand how to flash my BIOS.. There was a readme which explains that I need to boot from a boot disk and all this other stuff....Can anyone help with an easier explanation?

Copy bios from web to folder "bios" in C root, copy flash utility to same directory, insert win 98/ME cd in to cd drive, tell pc to reboot, look in bios for "boot from CD" and tell it to boot from CD FIRST, not after harddrive, floppy or anything, when cd boots, tell it you want to boot of the cd, but you DONT want to run the install, type:

C:
cd bios
and then runt the flash, with propper command syntax, ie aflash awe0515.bin or what ever...

Best of luck!
B!

Multiplier of 12? quoi?!

Hmm...something is messed up here... I was thinking maybe my amibient (room) temp might be doing something so I opened a window and turned on a fan..Right now im at a 114.6 FSB..at a 12x multiplier?! As far as I know a 1800+ is a 11.5 mult.???Im running 56 C idle right now which is fine by me...as Ive been runnin at that for a year now, and at load 60~. So whats up? 12x is a 1900+ mult???That might explain why when I put it up to 133 it was runnin at 1600 mhz and it said 1900+...BTW im using FL4 (Fuzzy Logic 4) overclocking/clocking/monitering tool which come with the mobo

Back