• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S ver 2.0 won't hit 200 fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommelrommel

And I mean the damned thing won't even POST at 200 x anything. Equipment is an Antec 400w, 512 x 2 of HyperX PC3000 tested to 215, and three different CPU's, tbred b1700+, 2000+, and a barton 2500+.

This is my buddy's and he's getting frustrated as hell. His first one was ok, but wouldn't do past 180 FSB. The second one spontainiously rebooted. Now this one tops out at 185, and we aren't even sure that's stable yet. All the rails read ok on the power supply with a quality multimeter, the CPU's are all well within what they can run at, vdimm and vdd are cranked to BIOS limits, I just don't get it. He isn't running dual channel, has tried just one stick, he tried different multipliers, super lax ram timings, everything but a BIOS flash that I can think of. He's too chicken to do that so he's dropping it off in the morning for me to try.

Only think I can think is that the PSU is flakey in some way that he hasn't tested... I don't think the BIOS would be so bad that he can't even see a post at 200 x 5...

BIOS flash, then try my Antec 550 I guess. Any other ideas? He's a bit chicken so I don't think he'd be down for me blowing bridges on his CPU or anything.

yes, it should beable to hit 200 cause its rated for a 400mhz barton. I'm not sure he would beable to return it since hes not using a 400mhz fsb proc.

so the latest bios is not the best one? i keep hearing that bios 10 lets you overclock more but i beleive it doesn't have the bios corruption fix... which one is the best to use if you want to get to about 220fsb and about 2.2-2.3ghz with a barton 2500+?

Unless it's a version 2 NF7-S. You want the default fsb to be 333Mhz on the V2.

Sorry, just saw the 2500+ in the original post missed the 1700+ and 2000+. You wouldn't want to do the L12 mod to the barton but for the other two you would to give them a default 333Mhz reading.

Some times low multipliers cause issues, try setting the ram to 2-2-2-11 and cranking up the CPU voltage a bit more. Maybe give it a shot at 9 x 200 and see how it works out. I have a similar set up. Make sure you try this with only 1 stick of ram. I have the same ram and it is alright for what it is, maybe the NB is the issue, mine won't go above 218, try a vvd mod and see if that and improved NB cooling helps at all. Also what is the CPU temp?

Back