• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3200 memory running slower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squirtle632

This is going to sound like a stoopid question but I do have my reasons for doing this.

Using an ASUS P4P800 MB with a Intel 1.8a running at 400mhz

Can I run Mushkin PC3200 down to PC2100 levels?

I cannot afford a chip right now but have a REAL good opportunity to sell my stock Intel 845BGL MB and 1GB of PC2100.

Does anyone thing there is going to be a problem in doing this?

Buying a new CPU right now is out of the question. Neither the person who want my MB and memory nor I can afford more $$$

The only backward compatibility problems with RAM are usually those to do with the RAM chip density. For instance, older motherboards might only support a DRAM density of up tp 256Mbit, meaning that they would only take a 256Mbyte module with no less than 8 chips. A 4 chip module would not work, or it would only "see" 128Mb and run flaky or something. The best way to find out is try it and see, you won't break anything. (Well outside the normal risks of static zapping etc when messign with computer parts)

regards,

Road Warrior

Did something real stoopid and called ASUS like I should have BEFORE I asked this question. ASUS said that memory is backwards compatible like you said and the main answer was "yes, it should work in this motherboard".
Thank you for the help

Back