• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

333fsb @ 400fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CroSen

Registered
333FSB CPU @ 400FSB

Hi guys,

I got a "problem". But first my system spec:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333MHz FSB)
--> AXDA2600DKV3D
--> AIUHB 0252 SPBW
--> 12.5x166 = 2083
--> standard AMD cooler
--> Vcore: 1.65V
--> idle CPU/sys temps: 45/35°C
--> after one hour UT2K3: 51/37°C
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
--> latest BIOS: v5.4
2x512 MB PC3200-RAM Infineon
--> HYS64D64320GU-5-B
--> on chip: HYB25D256800BT-5
--> RAM timings: 2.5-2-2-6
--> running in sync with FSB and in DC mode
HIS Excalibur 9800 @ default speed
--> AGP: 8x
--> AGP aperture size: 256MB
--> Fast Write enabled
Chieftec Dragon tower
--> 2x8cm fan's
--> PSU: HEC 350-VD-PT

The problem:
I can't get the CPU run @ FSB400 with the multiplier lowered to 10.5x. This would be 10.5x200=2100. What's the problem with the CPU? I wouldn't consider the 2100MHz to be a serious "overclock", just 17MHz over default speed. I even underclocked (urgh...) it to 10x200 with no luck. Of course, I lowered the RAM timings to 3.0-3-3-8 and up'ed the Vcore to 1.75 but that didn't help, WinXP would bluescreen after a few minutes and immediately when I start 3DMark2K1. Why can't it handle the 400FSB?
I've heard about the L12 mod to make my 333FSB a 266FSB CPU but I don't want to fiddle around with my new system. I'm *ucked if it goes wrong... :(
Using the J10 and J11 jumpers on my mobo doesn't help, too. It only forces the CPU to a 100FSB.
So any ideas? Or is the 400FSB just too high for the XP2600?

TIA,

CroSen

I would say try 7 3 3 2.5 with the ram.....I know my ram actually runs better at lower timings ie.....I cannot even boot that high on cas3.....is that doesn't help......I would say it's your ram...have you tried pumping the ram voltage? up to say 2.8?..I think thats the limit on that board......I don't think it's the mobo since I easily attainted 200fsb on that mobo awhile back.......maybe look into sending in your ram for new sticks....hopefully they have a warrenty :D...good luck :D

i have the same problem with my PC. I just bought a new 2100+ JIUHB and i cant go past 170 FSB without problems. its not the processor its your MB, your chipset cant handle 400 FSB (even if it says it can it means the RAM can go that fast not the CPu). unless you have had it up to 400 with a different processor then it might be the 2600+. Hope this helps!

i'd say do the ram at 11-3-3-2.5t, that's my sweetspot, and maybe it dosn't like the 10x multi., try 11, and don't forget the vcore

treepop:
I already set the RAM to lower timings. Like I said, 3.0-3-3-8 and even 3.0-3-3-11 was a no go. I up'ed Vdimm to 2.7 and I'm afraid to go higher... It can't be the RAM, I mean it's rated to work @ 400FSB.
I ran 6 hours of WinMemDiag, memtest86 and Prime95 with [email protected] --> not a single error.

PCFreek14:
So you think it's the CPU? The mobo should handle 400FSB 'cause it has the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset. I just don't get why it's even *******' @ 10x200=2000... :confused:

Molester said:
i'd say do the ram at 11-3-3-2.5t, that's my sweetspot, and maybe it dosn't like the 10x multi., try 11, and don't forget the vcore

3.0-3-3-11 didn't help too... Isn't the 11x multiplier (2200MHz) a little bit too much for the AMD cooler? I'll try it.

Molester said:
when i lowered my cas from 2.5t to 3.0t it wouldn't post at all

The ****ty MSI BIOS won't let me override the CAS Latency when running @ FSB400. I can change it even to CL2.0 and CPU-Z/aida32 report it's 3.0.
Right now I'm @ 10.5x200. Expecting a BSOD any second... :(

Steven4563 said:
up the chipset voltage from 1.6V to 1.7V :) hope this helps

How? There's no BIOS option to do that.

I'm right now again @ default speed. XP crashed with a STOP error in usbhci.sys or something like that. :(

That MSI motherboard has no pci lock. Therefore, maybe the 200mhz fsb is causing errors with your pci devices such as your hdd. It would be my guess that with a 400fsb nforce2 the processor would be able to reach that fsb.

SnComet2 said:
That MSI motherboard has no pci lock. Therefore, maybe the 200mhz fsb is causing errors with your pci devices such as your hdd. It would be my guess that with a 400fsb nforce2 the processor would be able to reach that fsb.

What?! No PCI lock?! :eh?: This can't be. I mean it's a mobo with nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset. How is it then supposed to run the 400FSB Bartons? I'm sure it has a PCI lock or at least the right divider. I can even change the AGP frequency but not the PCI freq.. So I think it's fixed/locked/whatever.

Maybe I should give up and accept the fact that my 2600 can't run at 400FSB with lowered multiplier. I don't know. If anybody comes up with a good idea, feel free to post :)

CroSen
The ****ty MSI BIOS won't let me override the CAS Latency when running @ FSB400. I can change it even to CL2.0 and CPU-Z/aida32 report it's 3.0.

I actually remember having that issue with the k7n2-L also......I remember reading that msi put that quirk in the bios on purpose!
....I forgot what I did in order to override it.....

I up'ed Vdimm to 2.7 and I'm afraid to go higher

ehh I dont think 2.8 should be anything near a worry...it's only when ya get to 3.2 and such that you have to worry about cooling and such

treepop said:

I actually remember having that issue with the k7n2-L also......I remember reading that msi put that quirk in the bios on purpose!
....I forgot what I did in order to override it.....

It reads the CAS value that's saved in the SPD-ROM. No matter what CAS I set it reverts to the default value for the current FSB. You can only choose if the values conform to the spec: For example I can set to 2.5 or 3.0 @ 333FSB but I can't go lower. @400FSB I can't choose anything, 3.0 is used automagically, no matter what I do :(

ehh I dont think 2.8 should be anything near a worry...it's only when ya get to 3.2 and such that you have to worry about cooling and such

I'm gonna try this one, too.

SnComet2 said:
Isnt that an urban myth? I mean if it has a NF2 chipset then it has a PCI lock.

I give up. I'll wait till the next BIOS release, maybe it'll change something. There's also a beta release which is modded by a guy over @nforcersHQ.com and it looks promising. But it's not officially supported...
Modded Bios for K7N2-Delta-L that works

I don't seem to be the only one with this problem, there's one other guy at the MSI-Forum who got the same problem like me but he's using a 2400+. Here's da link if you wanna check it out:
Can't boot at 200*10 with unlocked 2400+

Thanks for your help!

CroSen

Well I have exactly the same CPU, and though the memory is not Infineon, it is Hynix chips, and as you can see I've had great luck with the combo.

I am unable to get the higher multis @stock FSB due to the Asus not fully decoding the codes (dunno the technical explanation) but the system works perfectly at about 215 FSB (I had it to 217) with 2.8 volts on the memory, with relaxed timings (3-4-4-11) and the addiotnal latency is somewhat nullified by the overall system bandwidth.

Unfortunately the stock cooler is extremely pathetic and cannot sustain even the stock speeds @full load, and Prime starts to error out with CPU temps at about 66 degrees (at stock). At high FSB I don't bother with Prime as the system does not withstand the torture test - temps go up to 72-74 degrees on an open case.

In short, the CPU is probably not the cause, it's maybe the RAM or the mobo, also try overvolting the CPU a bit (I need a .025 increase to run @215, you may need a little more as the Asus boards overvolt by .05 default) to see if it is the CPU. Also though the stock HSF cannot withstand the temperature increase, it has no problem to boot at high FSB.

I hope your power supply is up to the task. Overclocking requires serious amounts of clean power from the supply, and a good PSU is a must.

sangram said:
Well I have exactly the same CPU, and though the memory is not Infineon, it is Hynix chips, and as you can see I've had great luck with the combo.

I am unable to get the higher multis @stock FSB due to the Asus not fully decoding the codes (dunno the technical explanation) but the system works perfectly at about 215 FSB (I had it to 217) with 2.8 volts on the memory, with relaxed timings (3-4-4-11) and the addiotnal latency is somewhat nullified by the overall system bandwidth.

Thanks for the heads up! :) I've almost lost faith...
I guess your board is stuck @ the 12.5x multiplier (just like mine). AFAIK only a few boards can "unlock" all the multis from 5-24x. So you can only use the multis up to 12.5x which the board supports.
For anything above you have to do the magic wire trick...

Unfortunately the stock cooler is extremely pathetic and cannot sustain even the stock speeds @full load, and Prime starts to error out with CPU temps at about 66 degrees (at stock). At high FSB I don't bother with Prime as the system does not withstand the torture test - temps go up to 72-74 degrees on an open case.

I've ran Prime for 6 hours and I choosed the "Blend" mode in which it tests (occupies) all of the memory. The temps went up to 63°C but the system was rock solid...

In short, the CPU is probably not the cause, it's maybe the RAM or the mobo, also try overvolting the CPU a bit (I need a .025 increase to run @215, you may need a little more as the Asus boards overvolt by .05 default) to see if it is the CPU. Also though the stock HSF cannot withstand the temperature increase, it has no problem to boot at high FSB.

I doubt it's the RAM and I think too it's not the CPU 'cause I'm not "overclocking" at all. So maybe it's something with the mobo, maybe the BIOS. It didn't even reset the Vcore to default settings when I changed from 1.8v to auto. So I had to clear cmos. That was somehow strange...

I hope your power supply is up to the task. Overclocking requires serious amounts of clean power from the supply, and a good PSU is a must.

The HEC 350 VD-PT is a good PSU. It's certainly not popular as the PSUs from Antec and Enermax but the reviews I read were all positive.

So I think I'm gonna wait for the next BIOS release and get a new cooler for my cpu. Your temps, sangram, are scaring me...
I'm thinking of the Vantec VA4-C7040. Any recommendations?

CroSen

Yes, you're going to have multis up to 12.5 available only unless you own a Soltek or an Abit nForce2. Click here to find out why:
Only 2100+ and higher T-Breds and 3000+ Barton post higher multipliers

As for heatsink:
Thermalright SLK800A with your choice of a fan;
Only 0.01 C/W worse than the SLK900 and identical in performance to the SLK900U.
http://www.svcompucycle.com/therslsoc462.html

or better still

SLK-800(U)
http://www.case-mod.com/store/produ...70&PHPSESSID=933f9f2221f62429b1f73928d8b408ec

almost as good performer is the $15.99 Thermalright SK-7
(most people choose this one)

http://www.svcompucycle.com/thersk7socco.html
http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=350

Don't forget a fan, nothing too loud, but pretty much any 80x25mm will do with SK-7.
http://www.svc.com/thersmarcasf.html

Look for directions on how to apply thermal paste (it comes with sk-7) but this is a good one:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

Back