• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kd7-s and barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

I used the search function and I read that this board would not support a barton XP2500 333FSB.

I did not see that on the abit web site.

I also will not be using SATA.
I will be using standard IDE.

any tips or comments appreciated. I am setting up a linux box and newegg has one refurb for a good price.

thanks

badgers said:
I used the search function and I read that this board would not support a barton XP2500 333FSB.

I did not see that on the abit web site.

Who posted that? This is the second time I'm posting this image of ABIT's CPU Compatibility & this information was out as early as 12/03/2002 in the read me files on the BIOS release for the KD7 - S as well as their website.

cpu support copy.gif

I would appreciate a link to that thread which gave you wrong information.

what do you think of this board? Any experience with linux and this board?

thanks for such a quick response.

I will research and get back to you
ps: to the moderator
why does the search function require four letters when kd7 is only three???

I have the KD7 - RAID which is what your choice is based on. It's an awesome boared with a rather high PSU requirement, think 430W & up. Overall if you dont ask what the KT400 is not capable of then you got yourself one fast board. I have no experience with Linux.

Try doing a KD7*, the tip is right below the search entry box.

thanks, I've ordered it. I posted in the linux forum about install issues. I am not looking to OC at all. I am just here for expert advice. 333FSB is fast enough for me.

I appreciate your input.
Do you need the PSU for the hard drives in your RAID config. I wans't planning on a $70 buck PSU.

PS: I re-searched and I mis-read your post a from a while back, You said that the KD7 couldn't handle the NEW barton 400FSB. It was my misunderstanding.

Well going at max overclock & running at 2GHz will tax your 12V rail since that is were the CPU is being powered from now unlike before from the KT266A & KT333 days when it was taken from the 5V rail. A good 3.3V rail seems to help with data corruption at high FSB speeds 190FSB & up, atleast thats what I think so it is annoying that you cant adjust it & rely on how good the default rails on your PSU are. Thats another thing that I find seems to need a lot of power too, the RAID0 Config seems to eat a lot of power.

Good luck on the board & if you do need more help on it just ask:beer:

great board, does require lots of power, and it has issues with the IRQ. but Abit has released a faqs on that and a fix as well. you should run the DN BIOS as well. Ive been running mine for a few months now and after sorting through the IRQ conflict problems and APIC/ACPI problems ive come to discover a great board with many great features. not to mention one of the best BIOS's in the business.

my 2500+ works flawless with this board by the way.

Back