• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performace gain with Dual Channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTr0

First of all Hello :)
Just got my mits on a A7N8X Deluxe today and wanted to know if Will I notice any difference in performance, running 2 matched sticks of ram in dual channel?

At the moment I have 512mb and 256mb sticks (Crucial 2700)Which are not matched and running in single mode.
TIA

There is a performance advantage but it is rather small. In benchmarks there will be a slight increase in performance. I doubt you would notice the difference with the naked eye though.

I agree, minimal performance gain, unless you're using integrated video (which you're obviously not, since your m/b doesn't have it). However, you don't actually need 'matching' sticks to use the dual channel. You could get another 256MB stick and then run 2 X 256MB on one channel and 1 X 512MB on the other (many nForce2 m/b's, including yours, have 2 DIMMS on one channel and 1 DIMM on the other).

Not sure which 2 slots are blue on your board, but there are 3 in total. Two of them are closer together, and those are both on 1 channel. The single slot further from the other 2 is alone on it's own channel. So, if you want to run dual channel you would need to put 1 stick in either of the 2 slots close together (or you could fill both) and another stick in the other slot. If you only put RAM in the two slots close together, you'll be running single channel. Hope that's clear.

there are 3 slots. you have to have 1 stick in the 3rd slot to run dual channel..

slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 3 = dual.. 1 & 2 = single channel

Back