• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 59c Load too hot with a 900u??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N.E.R.D_BOI

As the title says... i've always thought it was just my cpu but i've been noticing more and more people with much lower temps with the same cooling setup as mine (see my sig - Rig 1).
Anyways my idle is at 42c, Load is at 59.5c at max. System temps is at 31c after an hour.
Am i running a weakass fan? The TT smartfan 2 is supposed to be good for 75cfm.
I've tried a lot of things like lapping my 800a(when it was on my P4), to switching 900u on myP4. I bought AS3, then i switched to Nanotherm PCM+. I even now use the TT duct on my 900u to hit that dead spot. I ran my comp always with the side case off! Tried reseating HS several times, reapplying pastes. Hmm wat else is there.. oh i even lapped this 900u.

Non of these really helped my temps at all. Actually i didnt even see a drop. Am i doing something wrong? I know this sounds like a nooB question but i never asked as i always thought this was normal until i saw the number of people getting much lower temps with the same Cooling setup!

Also one question.. if a heatsink is lapped incorrectly, could it actually worsen its cooling performance? Cos when i lapped the heatsinks, i went straight for the 600 grade sandpaper. Maybe i should've started with the 400?

Well any help or suggestions would really be appreciated to help lower my temps!!! ;)

yes incorrect lapping can ness up a heatsink, but since performance stayed the same i don't think you did. are you sure you are not putting too much thermal paste? di dyou make the screws bottom out (fully tightened?) umm are you running the sf2 at full blast or are you using the thermal sensor? My thinner layer of as3 lowered temps a few degrees so now under load with a 56cfm fan i have load temps of 49(prime95)

Thanks for the speedy response dude much appreciated. Anyways i've tried applying thin layer of thermal paste (AS3), that didnt help much maybe .5c. Actually with Nanotherm PCM+(which i switched to) it starts off in liquid form allowing you to apply the thinnest of layers ;). I didn't see a change in temps after i switched to it.
As for the smartfan 2 i run it at 3800RPM, at full RPM it lowers the temp by 1.5c so i usually don't run it as the noise at those speeds isn't worth the 1.5c drop!
And yes i bottom out the screws but not to the point i rip out the threads hehe ;)

Hmm i have a feeling it i lapped it wrong, i might try re-lap it this weekend, starting off with 400 grade this time. I was going to buy 300 but it felt to rough.

Also i dont have any case fans but that shouldn't be the cause of my high temps should it as i have an open tower?

Umm unless you house is located on a windy mountain side with half of the house gone I would suggest putting two case fans in and closing the tower....but I could be wrong perhaps somone else can shed some light on it. I mean wouldn't all of the hot air just stay in the case if no other fans were on?

Does anyone think there could be a bios temp problem with this PC?

If you update your bios it may report correctly.

Touch your heatsink to see if its really hot. If it is you know for sure that the temps are being reported correctly.

while I am not that experienced with P4 OCing that temp seems pretty high.
Try this if you can: If you have a desktop or box fan try placing it on the side blowing into tthe case with the case side off. Observe temps. While this will of course lower just about any rig temps, I would be curious on how much yours drop.

My thoughts are you need to get some air moving through that case.
What are your room temps?
When you lapped what grit did you end up with?

In the end it may be a faulty sensor but you need to check. It's rare that you didn't get much of a temp drop when applying the AC3 in the suggested method(real thin and even). Most people seem to notice a 3C drop or more.

Ps. The TT Smart fan 2 is a really nice fan. Did you try running it with out the duct? Maybe the duct is hampering airflow.

Well let us know what you try and find out..

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

epauls: I have tried running a fan blowing air into the case, that help drop my temps down to 54-55c LOAD at best, and idle to 41-42c.
I doubt the duct is doing anything to hamper my temps as when i installed it, it made no difference. Also when i lapped my SLK-900u, i went straight for the 600grit then finished it with a 1200. I didnt feel the need to use 400 as it was pretty much brand new.

turd furguson: I have the latest bios 1.7 and when i tough it, it doesnt feel hot at all, i can touch it without burning myself, i could probably keep it their for a whole hour ;)

I really have no idea why temps are so high. System temps report 31c, and its not that hot over here. We only hit spring in Australia.

All i can think of is trying to re-lap this sucker one more time and spend a whole hour :p, apply the thinnest layer of PCM+ which is suppose to be better than AS3 and maybe get a higher CFM fan. maybe a 190cfm 120mm DELTA :eek: :D lol

what do u guys think?

hrmm, maybe download MBM and check the readings with that.

I know my MB Utility software from Asus reads low.
MBM reported my temps correctly. My temp sensor that came with case is accurate also.

Now I'm running a AMD chip at 1.8Vcore and a 701mhz OC. My temps with the SLK800a and a SFII are between 40-45C full load. Don't know my idle cause the rig is never idle. The fluctuation is do to room temp and running my SF II at 2/3ish most the time.
What is your room temp?

I hate to say that I'm just too lazy to lap and my temps are acceptable to me so I don't have much knowledge on that. You might want to try the 1500 or even 2000 grit.
So in conclusion yes I would relap to make sure nothing is wrong there. Re apply Thermal paste and re seat.
Good luck!

You know what? I always had MBM 5 on my computer, i just never installed it cos i didn't like the layout of it.

Anyways i just installed it and now it reports my temps at 24c idle and 36c Load :eek: my gosh that is sooo low. I've never seen it that low. Is this MBM5 really reporting right? I know abit boards read a lil high but i didn't know that high!!

Anyways if this is the right temps i can say i am VERY PLEASED :D

That could be right especially if you have the case side off. I'm down near 35C full load with case side off.

epauls said:
That could be right especially if you have the case side off. I'm down near 35C full load with case side off.

Thanks dude i really appreciate your help!!! I knew i wasn't doing anything wrong.. turns out it was just the software reporting ir wrongly!!!
Thanks once again :thup:

hey nerdboi, what software were u using before to monitor ur temps? and for everyone else, is mbm really that much more accurate than asus pc probe?
________
TOYOTA WIKI

Last edited:
I use asus probe and mbm5 and i find that when i OC my Rig the Asus Probe can give some quirky readings. The MBM5 is always been rock steady. Some may say well they both read from the same temp probe so they will get the same reading. Yes and No, they read off same temp probe but different "software" can interpret it differently. At least thats how i understand it.

dalilman52 said:
hey nerdboi, what software were u using before to monitor ur temps? and for everyone else, is mbm really that much more accurate than asus pc probe?

I was using the hardware monitor that came with this ABIT board. Abit's are supposedly suppose to report higher temps than normal but i didn't think it would be a 20c difference :eek:

Anyways i don't know how much more accurate it is than asus probe, but i definitely know its more accurate than Winbond Hardware Doctor!!! ;)

Back