• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dose the NF7 oc as well as the nf7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amok time

Well the subject says it all, My question is will the NF7 preform as well Ocing as the NF7-S. I dont need Raid and SATA, so I hope it oc the same. One more question what nforce2 board has the most clearance room for a cpu water block? If you help please post or link me.

Thanks

NF7 has no sound no board? I guess I dont need sound, as long as it OC as well as the NF7-S I will get it, worry about sata when ddr2 comes about.

the NF7 has onboard sound, just not the Soundstorm chip.

the NF7 should overclock the same as the NF7-S, the reason most people go for the -S is because it's only about $25 more and you get the Soundstorm audio and Serial ATA (for me it was more the Soundstorm as i have no intrest in buying a SATA harddrive right now).

john240sx said:
the NF7 has onboard sound, just not the Soundstorm chip.

the NF7 should overclock the same as the NF7-S, the reason most people go for the -S is because it's only about $25 more and you get the Soundstorm audio and Serial ATA (for me it was more the Soundstorm as i have no intrest in buying a SATA harddrive right now).

The Soundstorm chip is the one that gives you DD5.1 sound right? Is that the same chip that people are having to install a SB Heatsink to get rid of sound problems? I never had a good sound card, does this make a noticable diffrence?

yeah if you are having crackling and weird stuff like that then best bet to fix it would be a heatsink, btw anyone know how i can get of 5 speakers and sub to work with the soundstorm( i already install chipset drivers, etc. and play around but i cant get more then two speakers to output sound) , sorry about the thread jack, ( well kinda)

amok time said:

The Soundstorm chip is the one that gives you DD5.1 sound right? Is that the same chip that people are having to install a SB Heatsink to get rid of sound problems? I never had a good sound card, does this make a noticable diffrence?

that problem normally only shows up when you get close to 200Mhz FSB, even a small passive heatsink usually provides enough cooling to fix it though. a good soundcard makes a world of difference in games, plus the EAX performance from the soundstorm is actually better then creatives performance (to me anyway). another bonus for the soundstorm is it uses less CPU cycles then any other soundcard, the only way to get less CPU useage is to use no sound at all.

if you play online FPS's then a good soundcard will really help you. for instance, in americas army you can hear people's foot steps from a long distance and you can tell which way they are coming from (huge advantage ;) ).

In response to the sound issues in this thread:

in the Nforce Control pannel (launch from system tray or control pannel) you must enable 5.1 sound via the second tab. you can also do the little wizard thing incase you are using siome funky setup (like rear speakers in mic port). Also make sure you check create Center and LFE channels if you want your center and sub to get signals.

i have been able to get my machine stable at 2.0ghz, can go higher but decided to stop because anytim i go above stock my sound gets distorted after awhile. At stock it can go for days of playing no problem, at 333fsb it goes for about 18hrs just fine, and at 400fsb it can only go for 6hrs before i get soem distortion. I ordered some thermal tape and a heatsink to put on it (wanted it to be easy to take off for starters, epoxy later), hopefully that'll arrive tomorrow and fix the distortion at least up to 400mhz.

THe soundstorm is in the SouthBridge, and if you plan on going above 200 FSB you may need to H.S. it, it all depends on your experiances. I haven't had to yet, though things may change because I have been having other problems as of late, but that is in a different post. oh, and I have to agree, the Avatar is awesome :)

-Ir0nman

Damn Tribbles! I can't say the difference on the sound between the NF7 and the NF7-S as I haven't used an NF7 but the soundstorm on the NF7-S is pretty impressive. As far as I know it is pretty much equal to anything Creative offers as long as you have speakers to use it. It was much, much better than my Live I replaced with it and that was just 4.1 speakers.

the soundstorm sounds great

those who have used teh audigy 2 and the soundstorm say the soundstorm sounds better

Spoke's cool but god i hate Bones...

Back