• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone remember SIMMS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamespetts

If you do, I have a problem that I'm hoping that someone can help me with:

I'm reconditioning an old computer using parts from another old computer. The computer that I'm reconditioning is an AMD K6-2 with a TX chipset socket 7 motherboard. The computer from which I'm taking parts is a horrible "IBM" proprietary monster (P200MMX) that never worked properly.

In the IBM, all four banks of SIMMS were used: one pair was filled with 16Mb modules, and another pair with 32Mb EDO modules. The computer recognised all of the memory, and passed Memtest86 running for over 24 hours just fine.

In the K6, there was a similar configuration, only the 32Mb SIMMS weren't EDO, I think. Naturally, I tried to combine all of the 32Mb SIMMS to get 128MB of RAM, rather than 92 as I'd had before, but I get a curious problem when I use the SIMMS from the IBM in the K6: whether they are installed on their own or with the other 32Mb SIMMS, the BIOS (and MemTest86 for that matter) only recognises 16Mb of RAM.

I find this very odd, as the motherboard purports (in one of the BIOS screens) to support EDO RAM, and the memory worked fine in a slightly older computer. Is there an answer to this problem, or am I plagued by some long-forgotten compatibility issue?

Hmm, I was able to get 96Mb on it... however, it's a moot point now, as I fried it by trying to fit SIMMS and DIMMS at the same time.

Back