• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Ram to use with a moderately overclocked xp1700 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HandyBendy

Registered
Hi chaps :)
I'm in the process of building a system for a friend and seeing as i'v found somewhere i can still get hold of a 1700 t'bred i'v decided to build him a 1700-based o/c'd system. Bearing in mind it will only be an air-cooled system, what do you boffins reckon would be the best sort of memory to use - bearing in mind i'm working to a pretty tight budget ?

Thx in advance for for taking the time to relpy :)

Choice of three:

1. Next to nothing after rebate Kingston PC2100 at your favorite electronics store.

2. Samsung PC2700

3. Best is twinmos/ch-5 winbond PC3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html
It will allow you to go to 220 FSB which is more important than MHz.
(Provided you have nForce2 mobo of course.)

I am not a boffin.

I've built several inexpensive PCs using the 1700XP DUTC. I use a motherboard with a VIA 333 chipset that supports 333fsb. I get DDR333 memory and set the fsb to 333 and the mutiplier around 12 or 13. This gives 2G to 2.1G usually at default vcore, one or two of the processors need 1.65V to run stable. You can use the stock heatsink and case cooling. This is very good performance for the price. A good 300W powersupply will run this setup without any problems.

buffalo pc3200 runs around $82-$88 from newegg, alot of raves about that ram, how tight is your budget?

grab some pc2700 and run moderate timings

may reach ddr400 if u grab some kinstonhyperX

or some corsair twins

anyway, stay in that neighborhood of pc2700

great results for a budget rig

get some PC3200 memory

I've got it to reach DDR467 at max

I'm all for Elixir brand. Fast, reliable, and stays cool. Go for it!

Back