• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on OC'ing Bartons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thesoupnazi

Registered
Now lets say I have 2 systems, exactly the same, sans processor. One system has an overclocked 2500+ at 2.2, and the other has a stock 3000+ (333 fsb).
My question is: Is there any difference between the OC'ed 2500+ and the 3000+, or does AMD just clock the chips at different levels and sell em off with a large $ difference?

It would also depend on the FSB speed.

Note that there are two Athlon XP 3000+
400 FSB Athlon XP 3000+ (Apr 2003) at 2.100 GHz
and
333 FSB Athlon XP 3000+ (Feb 2003) at 2.166 GHz

so 333 FSB 2500+ if overclocked to 2.200 GHz would beat them if it was running at the same FSB as 3000+s.

Note that MHz Speed = FSB x multiplier

Also note thet FSB is more important than raw MHz.
FSB depends on the quality of RAM:
http://www.pbase.com/image/19261650/original

http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

Yes AMD clocks some procs higher and sells them for higher price while other it clocks lower and sells for lower price, what makes them decide how many chips to clock at what speed according to demand on the market, as demand for high speed, high price chips is much lower than for the low speed/price chip, they make less high end chips and sell them for more, and they make lots of "low-end" chip and sell them relatively cheap

ok, maybe I was unclear

What I meant to say is are the chips actually manufactured differently? Or will a 2500+ clocked exactly to a 3200+ with all the EXACT same settings perform exactly the same?

What I meant to say is are the chips actually manufactured differently? Or will a 2500+ clocked exactly to a 3200+ with all the EXACT same settings perform exactly the same?

Assuming they have identical FSB and Multiplier then you will get almost exactly the same performance. They will come from the same production line probably - CPUs will be categorised as 2500+, 3000+ etc depending on how well they do during testing.

Back