• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adaman

I'm thinking about getting an SLK-900 with a 80mm Panaflo L1A fan, but i'm not going to bother if they don't make much of a difference. I expect some good results if i'm going to pay $50 or whatever it is. I average 50c at stock, and have averaged that since i got this rig back in December( and yes, my heatsink is on right ;P), but it goes up to 59c when i playing games and such. I'm using the default P4 heatsink now if you were wondering. So if i were to buy the SLK 900 and the Panaflo L1A, about how many degrees should i expect my cpu temp drop afterward?

I would say you could easily get down around 35-40c. Those temps. are very good indeed. But it all depends on what the rest of the setup is like.

Thank You,
Daniel

OUCH those temps sure are high, are u running any OC's, btw do u have good air flow thru ur pc? u should have at least one intake and one exhaust also, u shouldnt be using p4 stock cooling, thats just unholy, yeah the slk-900 and the panaflo should do some good results, most likely at least a 7c degree difference than that crummy stock cooling, but i dont think u should go with the panaflo fan, a better choice would be the thermaltake sfII because of all of its functions and such, and that it pushes much more air than that measly 24 cfm on the panaflo, the panaflo would definitely not push enough air to get all the heat off of the slk-900, or if u wanna go all out with the cooling get a vantec stealth :) the best place to get the sfII would be at bestbyte, its only 7.99 plus some shipping, maybe around 8 something http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?ProductID=884&CategoryID=8&Keyword= good luck!
________
TAHOE

Last edited:
Nothing's overclocked, and i have decent air flow. I have no objection to any other fans, just that the Panaflo sounded good. I want something real quiet.

dalilman52 said:
u shouldnt be using p4 stock cooling, thats just unholy,
The P4 stock heatsink isn't a bad cooler. I have a friend running a 2.4c (albeit it does have the .13 micron) running idle at around 88f/31c and 100f/37c Load. This cooler can even sustain a mild overclock (on most applications - in this situation, I wouldn't reccomend trying).

dalilman52 said:

or if u wanna go all out with the cooling get a vantec stealth :)
The Vantec Stealth (80mm) pushes only 3 more CFM than the L1A... How is that "All out with the cooling"? The 92mm version pushes 28cfm... Still too close. Perhaps you meant a Vantec Tornado or Delta fan?

If you are not overclocking your processor I would stay with your stock heatsink. I also belive that the Asus Probe, from my readings on the boards, tends to be off a bit. If you're planning on overclocking, or just trying to get the best with your hardware (I can relate to that, trying to get the lowest temps possible), then the SLK-800u would be a good choice, and may I reccomend a Panflo H1A - 32cfm @ 30dbA. It should be able to keep your processor stable while OCing.

If you want VERY quiet, and you don't need to move your computer around a lot (i.e.: LAN), then I would look into the Zalman CNPS7000Cu. Very good cooler and also very silent, even though it is 300g over Intel specs for heatsink weight (that can be sustained by the retention bracket, theoretically). You may also want to check out the AlCu version of the Zalman, a tad less performing, however isn't as hefty as its big copper brother.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, i might do that.

I'm using Motherboard Monitor by the way. I used Asus PC probe for a while and it was really far off with the temps, almost like it was trying to guess them :p

Back