• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V333 & XP2500+ higher multipliers possible without surgery?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bremen1874

Registered
Hi,

I've just put a Barton 2500+ (week 31, green with visible traces showing through the lacquer) into my A7V333 rev 1.04 and have run into the multiplier problem.

I don't want to up the fsb much above 166 because I'm running SCSI, and I'm not willing to risk the SCSI adapter (29160) getting upset and corrupting my data. So at the moment I'm stuck at 12.5 X 166, which has been looping prime for the last couple of hours.

Is it possible to get at the higher multipliers without performing surgery on the CPU?

I've searched the forums but just managed to confuse the issue.

Any pointers, or just a plain no, appreciated.

Thanks

I have an A7v333 v1.02 with a Barton 2500+. I ran into the same problem of my muli's maxing out at 12.5. After destroying one chip in an attempt blow/cut the bridges I purchased an XP-TMC that allowed me to adjust the multi's. http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/xptmc.htm

You can also try the wire trick. I attempted it before purchasing the XP-TMC, but could not get the small wires around the pins & I didn't want to make another Barton "key Chain".

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html.

The chip is now running at 2257 (13.5x167) at 1.65v. It will run higher, but I need to increase the voltage. I figure the cost of the chip + the XP-TMC is still cheaper then a 3000+.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like the new packaging is a bit of a pain.

I'd looked at the XP-TMS before, but I'm in the UK and as far as I can tell they aren't commonly available over here. They are also cost a serious fraction of the price of a new motherboard. So a new motherboard has been ordered.

As I'm running U160 10K SCSI, have an Audigy 2, and a 512MB stick of Corsair XMS3200 memory I decided to replace my A7V333 with a NF7 Rev2 rather than the NF7-S Rev2.

It's a shame, I really like ASUS boards and I swore I wouldn't buy another Abit board after the capacitor problems I suffered. One SH6 and four SA6R boards went down with this. Hopefully these problems are now over.

I considered getting a new board and was looking at the NF7S also, but I only got this board about 6-months ago. I have a PCI RAID card and I just didn't feel like re-installing everything again.

Good luck with the new board. I like Abit. I had an 2 Abit boards before this one.

Back