• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a7n8x deluxe won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgirl

a7n8x deluxe
Athlon XP 2400+ w/volcano 9
512mb Corsair pc2700
350w Enermax power supply

I can't get this mb to post. When I turn it on the fans spin up for about 3 seconds and then it shuts off. I've tried booting it up with only the video card, cpu, and memory and it still does the same thing. I reset the cmos and still nothing. Any ideas?

Verify that your HS is mounted properly. I would think it would take longer than 3 seconds to overheat but ya never know.

I took the hs off and put it back on....it's seated pretty tightly....still same problem

1. Start from scratch remove the pci cards and disconnect drives
2. Bare bone to just the motherboard,cpu, memory, power supply
Try and see if it starts up. It should if not then your down to most likely your memory and power supply. Add stuff slowly with graphics card if you have one if it is starting and staying on.

I suspect memory first.

See if that works.

Plug some speakers into the onboard sound and try booting up, this board has a built-in speech error reporter. Once I had some bad memory and my computer wouldn't post. So I plugged in the speakers and tried booting and heard it tell me that "system failed memory test," so I tried some new memory and its worked fine. But with it only running for three seconds I don't know if this will help, but it can't hurt?

Okay I bareboned it with only cpu, memory, and power supply and booted it up. This time it stayed on for about 6 seconds and I managed to hear it say "cpu fan failed" and then it shut down again. However, my cpu fan *is* spinning! I even tried a different cpu and fan that has been working for over a year, a Duron 1.2 ghz and a thermaltake HSF. Still the same error. :confused:

Last edited:
Which fan header is it plugged into ? Make sure its the one next to the memory at the top of the board.

Your original problem sounds like you're CPU is overclocked by default. This condition happen to me and I fixed it. I have rev 2.0 with 1005 bios. I suggest you start from beginning and just use one stick of ram to post-up. You should get an error message saying your CPU frequency has changed. If you see this just hit del key and change FSB setting to match your CPU speed.

I did get this 3 seconds turn on then shuts down condition while troubleshooting my problem. I also had constant fan rotation with AGP, CPU and PS but no post, nothing on screen. Please see my post "A7N8X Deluxe." I believe my no post problem was caused by an overclocked CPU. My MB set my FSB to 200MHZ by default, which is 400MHz FSB speed. Hope this help.

Did you try resetting cmos? the error says no CPU FAN FAILED....
hmmm im stumped at the moment pcgirl. Was the board new? Can you return it and get a another one ? What might your options be? I guess we can say its not the CPU. Sniper.nkc, nblankenburg,Deathknight, any idea ?

One more thing I want to add for your CPU fail error. I have found the retail Heat Sink for my X2500 Barton has a interface material on bottom of heat sink. This material mates with the CPU chip when installing the heat sink on top of CPU. There are two kinds of materials, one with peel off tape and the other no peel off tape. The peel off tape has red tab and is easy to see. I have found the retail HS aligns the interface material one way. In other words, if you dont have the HS bracket with screwdriver slot facing toward your power supply direction, you will not get complete coverage of CPU chip with this interface heat transfer material. I had incorrectly positioned the HS the opposite direction (away from PS) and when I pulled the HS off the CPU, I noticed I didn't get full coverage by the impression left on material.

Sniper.nkc said:
One more thing I want to add for your CPU fail error. I have found the retail Heat Sink for my X2500 Barton has a interface material on bottom of heat sink. This material mates with the CPU chip when installing the heat sink on top of CPU. There are two kinds of materials, one with peel off tape and the other no peel off tape. The peel off tape has red tab and is easy to see. I have found the retail HS aligns the interface material one way. In other words, if you dont have the HS bracket with screwdriver slot facing toward your power supply direction, you will not get complete coverage of CPU chip with this interface heat transfer material. I had incorrectly positioned the HS the opposite direction (away from PS) and when I pulled the HS off the CPU, I noticed I didn't get full coverage by the impression left on material.

I wasn't using the retail heat sink, but this turned out to be my problem! I turned the heatsink around and it booted right up. It still says cpu fan failed but I'm pretty sure that's because I no longer have it plugged into the fan header on the mobo (I'm using a 4-pin adapter to plug it in with). BIOS is reporting the cpu temp at 27C.

So even though it was on there tight, it was turned the wrong way. Picky picky...lol. :)

Just an aside (useless now that you fixed things!...) - The "CPU FAN FAILED" Post message usually happens when the fan plugged into the CPU fan 3-pin doesn't have RPM monitering... :rolleyes: - this happens to me everytime I re-flash or clear my BIOS (gotta disable that damn speech post!!!), which is a lot... ;)

Also - holding *INSERT* while the board posts should set the chip to 100 x 11 with your lowest (stock) Vcore - this can get you into the BIOS long enough to check Temperatures and Voltages - which is a help in determining the problem.

Glad you solved your problem'

I'm also glad that I now know that the ASUS C.O.P. actually works...

Back