• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I fear the worst

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sai

Registered
Plug in the power, flip the atx switch on, hear a high pitched whining noise, turn off power, noise dies away slowly. Mother board shot? /sigh, this sucks =P

May not be your motherboard dead. Don't panic, explore other options before you go and say its dead.
1. Check and make sure everything is plugged in right and seated correctly.
2. Reset cmos.
4. Disconnect all non-essential parts and see if it boots that way.
6. Remove and then put the mobo battery back in.

7-8 are last resorts, hopefully you won't need to try them.
7. Mounting standoffs might be shorting out the mobo, remount the motherboard or test it outside of the case, only do this as a last resort.
8. Make sure heatsink is contacting core right.

Hope this list of things helps you. Let us know what happens. If all else fails swap out parts to find whats dead. All essential parts could be the dead one, so try everything, including, motherboard, processor, video card, memory and power supply. Best of Luck!

Matt

Ok removed all non vitals, unscrewed mobo (still in case, just no screws), gave it power...no noise, but the mobo LED doesnt turn on ... mobo still isnt getting power =/
ty for your help

Try unplugging the PSU from everything and using a paper clip to short the connection between these pins:
plug.gif

If the PSU makes the noise that is your problem and you should prolly get a new one.

If no fans turn on it was probably your PSU and you need a new one.

If it does go on the problem is somwhere else, probably the motheboard.

Did some tampering... can get so far as a failed memory test now... hmm... any reasons i would get a bad memory test, besides bad memory? Dont wanna RMA the peices if they are not broken )

Sai said:
Did some tampering... can get so far as a failed memory test now... hmm... any reasons i would get a bad memory test, besides bad memory? Dont wanna RMA the peices if they are not broken )

So the mobo is geting power now?

and it stopped whineing?

if so you could try reseating every thing and trying differnt memory DIMMs, somtiems motherboards can be weird like that. and you might wanna clear your BIOS too just for fun.

Tried... tried.. no go. RAM being RMA'd asap. TY all very much for your help )

Sai, I'm having a problem with my computer, that's kind of like yours. I replaced the heatsink/fan on the CPU one day, and installed some heatspreaders on the RAM. When I was don,e I plugged it back in and pushed power - but the thing didn't turn on. No fans, no lights, nothing (the only light that was on was the green LED on the motherboad). I'm just wondering, how did you end up getting yours to boot? I know it's no the PSU, because I tested it, and it turns on. I have an A7N8X Deluxe, by the way. Thanks.

mdcomp said:
May not be your motherboard dead. Don't panic, explore other options before you go and say its dead.
1. Check and make sure everything is plugged in right and seated correctly.
2. Reset cmos.
4. Disconnect all non-essential parts and see if it boots that way.
6. Remove and then put the mobo battery back in.

7-8 are last resorts, hopefully you won't need to try them.
7. Mounting standoffs might be shorting out the mobo, remount the motherboard or test it outside of the case, only do this as a last resort.
8. Make sure heatsink is contacting core right.

Hope this list of things helps you. Let us know what happens. If all else fails swap out parts to find whats dead. All essential parts could be the dead one, so try everything, including, motherboard, processor, video card, memory and power supply. Best of Luck!

Matt

My post from above ^^
Try that, but try this first....
Did you remember to put thermal grease back on? If so, maybe you layered it too thick. Better to be thin than thick. Just try reseating the heatsink and also reapply thermal grease. Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Matt

Okay, I'll try those steps. Just out of curiosity, though, how would the thermal paste being too thick keep the computer from turning on? I think I may have layered it a little thick, because on the Arctic silver website, it says to use an amount that looks like half a grain of rice. I think mine was a little bigger than that. I'm using Ceramique, by the way. Thanks for your response, I'll try and reseat the heatsink tomorrow after school, or on Saturday, and I'll be sure to let you know what happens.

Radical said:
Just out of curiosity, though, how would the thermal paste being too thick keep the computer from turning on?

If its thick enuf and the proc is overheating its possible, unlikely, but possible. Look into everything, just to be sure.

Matt

mdcomp said:

If its thick enuf and the proc is overheating its possible, unlikely, but possible. Look into everything, just to be sure.

Matt

I would say that is pretty unlikly... I mean those thermal pads are not only worse thermal conductors but also thicker, and besides the AS gets pused out of they way a a good amount when you put in on there.

Sai, what kind of mobo do you have? the a7n8x deluxes are notorious for "failed memory test" post messages. did you try changing bios settings so it would halt on no errors? so, le us know what mobo you have and what revision and what bios, these things could all be potnetially useful. like, maybe it isnt your RAM that is the problem....?

Well, it turns out that it's something wrong with the power on connector, because I shorted the pins with a paperclip, and it turned on. I'm pretty sure I had the plug in the right way, but I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Back