• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT smartfan 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snip3r

Registered
which one did you guys use?

1) max rpm
2) thermal controlled
3) manual control.

I plan to manual control and how do i mount it? is it everytime I need to adjust I need to open my casing? :eek:

i used manual control

all i did was route the wires for the manual control rheostat out the back of the case and taped it up there. that way i never need to open my case (not that it has much of a side anyway:))

Max rpm is ok if you dont mind the noise but dont use the temp control its a total waste of time, it didnt work and it is unreliable.

dont know how does it compare w/ my xdream, based on my spec..

Used to have manual control with the rheostat hanging out the back of a PCI slot. Now have thermal control with the sensor in free air.

manual control with the rheostat hanging out the back of a PCI slot, i used a zip-tie to secure it to my case through two fan vent holes.

I use the manual control, and i have both sides off my case anyways, so i just let it hang out by the motherboard tray, if i did have side on it, id just let is go out by the PCI slots.

dont move the rheostat or temp sensor around much, the wires are kinda fragile, 1 of them broke, so now my smt fan 2 wont work.

Anyways, its an awsome fan, mine whent up to almost 6000 RPMS and thats close somewhere in the range of about 82-90 CFM, but wihtout all the noise of the vantec tornado, it is still pretty loud, but in noise to air movement, its pretty similar to the panaflow's, also, this fan, creates more static pressure than the tornado. So, anyways, IMHO the smt fan 2 is great!
only problem is the hub in the middle is pretty huge.

Cheers!
-Nick
:cool:

The ones on the thermal sensor are tiny++, paper-wrapped ones. They are indeed very fragile and I would think difficult to solder.

I was going to buy one, until I saw a picture of it. Is it really a pink fan?

WTH? No pink stuff inside my computer please.

Closer to orange in color. I use the manual control also and I keep the control inside since I am not changing it anyway. I run it about 4200 rpm. That is my threshold for the noise. Mine gets a little whiny sounding when it is any higher than that.

ok, actually ill try to repair it, but its actually the wires that lead up to the plug to either plug in the rheostat or the temp sensor, its fully warrantied by this little comp shop so i figured might as well get the whole thing replaced if its for free.

aznchaos, remove the little jumper, then it should work ;)

and as 1337 m33p said, its a really cool looking orange. i hated it at first but i really like it now. Its a great fan!

Cheers!
-f1
:)

From what I've read using the manual control actually limits you to slightly below the max rated rpm, something to do with the additional resistance imposed by the rheostat, even if its all the way open. I just let mine go full bore, its a little loud but me and my roommate like noise when we sleep.

got the smartfan II from my friend, I'm running it @ 3500rpm, pretty silent and w/ the same rpm and noise.. it definitely kicks the xdream.

BTW. funny thing is my cpu temp is lower BUT my casing it higher? Hmmz....:rolleyes: anyone?

snip3r said:
got the smartfan II from my friend, I'm running it @ 3500rpm, pretty silent and w/ the same rpm and noise.. it definitely kicks the xdream.

BTW. funny thing is my cpu temp is lower BUT my casing it higher? Hmmz....:rolleyes: anyone?

Maybe the extra heat you're blowing off the heatsink is lingering around in your case now :)

Edit: Oh yeah, when I had the SFII I had it on manual @ 3400 RPM with the rheostat out a pci slot.

Full Bore!

I run mine full bore! No manual rheostat or auto temp control. The temp control isn't much good because max fan rpm's aren't achieved until 55 degrees C. It's a little loud but it's in my office and I can deal with it.:D

Just bought one, groovy fan. full blast 24/7 with manual control, stays at 4500rpm. I wouldnt call it loud at all.

Back