• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to wire a fan....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

i have a fan and a rheostat, but the fan only has 2 wires... red and black, and the rheostat has 3 places to put them, and the fan has no molex (i think thats the name for it... the 4 pin connector)

how can i wire this?

Wire the live from the molex to one of the two end lugs on the rheostat, then wire the center lug to the live going to the fan. Then just connect the fan's return to the molex's ground. If you don't want to hard wire the fan to the molex connector's line you can buy a y-splitter molex connector and wire the fan/rheo into that, then you can remove the fan/rheo from that PSU any time you want.

so.... looking at the molex from the front so that the slanted parts are at the top left and right, which ones go to which?

it goes, from left to right from the front

yellow black black red

i dont necessarily need the rheostat for THIS fan... i just need to get it working

ALSO, i have an extra fan that i would be willing to sacrifice (at least for the time being) that has one of the male / female molexes on it.... would i just replace the black from that fan with the black from the rad fan and put the red one from the rad fan into the red one on the molex male?

The yellow molex wire is the one you want, it's 12v. The two blacks are ground.

ALSO, i have an extra fan that i would be willing to sacrifice (at least for the time being) that has one of the male / female molexes on it.... would i just replace the black from that fan with the black from the rad fan and put the red one from the rad fan into the red one on the molex male?

Yes.

is there any way to take apart a molex? i pulled the previous wires out (that went to the other fan) but i dont know how im gonna be able to connect the rad fan wires into the molex....

edit: would i want the yellow or red wire if i do that?

Last edited:
i think i fixed it.... i found another fan and sacrificed it too :rolleyes: .... it has a connector that plugs into the mobo and its just red / black so i think it should be pretty easy.... i just cut the other fan off and connected the wires and nutted them... ill post if i need more help....

Back