• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not unlocked: Only 2100+ and higher T-Breds and 3000+ Barton post higher multipliers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Not unlocked: Only 2100+ and higher T-Breds and 3000+ Barton post higher multipliers

...unless you own Abit nForce2

I can select any multiplier on a 1700+ but only 12.5 and lower would post.
The same Epox nForce2 board would post all multipliers on 2100+.

Is the only way to post with multis above 12.5 if you have a CPU whose multiplier is above 12.5 by default, red multipliers in the right column here:
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

1. Is there any other board that would post high multipliers on below 2100+ CPUs without the wire trick:
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm

2. Does this also mean that the only Barton that would post higher multipliers is the 3000+ because its default multi is 13x?

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I'm guessing that you already understand this, but "unlocked" isn't techincally a correct term for this. Your board simply can only read 4 bits at a time, so you will only be able to access one range at a time. The processor is still unlocked. Are you sure that the 8RDA+ can read the lower range with your 2100+? It shouldn't be able to. Nothing below 13x should be accessible. I don't quite understand what you mean by your first question, since all boards should post high multis with a 2100+. The 3000+ 333mhz fsb version is the only Barton that uses the higher range stock, with the 5th L3 open. Its not only Abit nForce2's, the KT400's also can read the full range. Nothing to do with the chipset really, just the board itself.

s'up Gautam, good to see you.

Of course all T-Breds and Bartons come factory unlocked.

The question is: is Abit the only board that can post all multis.
(Asus nForce2 also can't post all multis.)

The reson for the post is your use of the word "simply" as in "Your board simply can only read 4 bits at a time..."

If Epox and Asus can't post all multis, and Abit is the only one that we know can, Abit is the exception, not the norm as the word "simply" would imply.

You ask "Are you sure that the 8RDA+ can read the lower range with your 2100+? It shouldn't be able to." Yes, remember this is the setup that used to do [208] FSB x 11 with Memory Frequency set to Auto instead of 100%.

So the 2100+ posts all multipliers. On 1700+ higher multis can be selected but instead of posting, the board would reset to 1100 MHz.

You say "the KT400's also can read the full range". Is that all KT400s that can actually post higher multis (not just being able to select them in BIOS like Epox and Asus). In the end of course, VIA KT400 doesn't have a PCI lock, so we're looking for any other nForce2 board that can actually post higher multis without the wire trick.

Last edited:
The KT400 can read the rull range, due to the bios being able to read out the pins on the cpu. I've two KT400, ABIT Max2 and FIC AN19E, both can read all multi's on the unlock cpu's (tbreds/bartons) and those of which I've done with filling in the pits trick.

I believe the Soltek nForce2 can read multis from 5-18 but that is it. That was with the first FRN I am sure the FRN2 has the same or more capability than the original.

Thanks a lot. I hope reading and actually posting is the same thing when you say that about Soltek since all nForce2 can "read" all multiplers, they just can't post over 12.5.

This is important for people with PC2100 memory. T-Bred B's and Bartons average 2.3 GHz so while you can barely squeeze by with 12.5 multiplier with PC2700 which can do high 170s to low 180s FSB on average, if you have PC2100 combined with below 2100+ CPU, you need a mobo that can post with high multipliers.

PC2100 averages low 150s FSB. You need a 14 or 15 multiplier for that.

To summarize, so far, options for PC2100 memory (besides the wire trick of course) are
1. Getting a 2100+ CPU.
2. Getting a lower rated CPU but Abit or Soltek nForce2 mobo.

...and since people who buy Abit usually get better memory, I'd say Soltek is so far your only option for PC2100 + below 2100+ CPU combo.

Some points to clarify "operation":-
Northbridge "reads" the multiplier code in order to set optimal timings for data transfers during boot. But it does this via pins different than those connected to mobo for actual manipulation of the default Multiplier...the FID[3:0].

Mobo/bios does "not read" the Multiplier. When on most mobos it connects to the default Multiplier signal circuits set by AMD, it only "toggles/changes" the default HI/LOs as directed by users in user-defined mode. In doing so it does not need to know what the default settings are, it simply impresses what user defines on the 4 or 5 bits it's connected to...so individual HI/LO settings from bios the same as default affect no change, but HI/LO settings different than default do toggle/change to the bios value. That's how bios Multiplier function operates.

Problem arises when some mobo/bios were/are designed to only toggle/change the 1st 4 bits instead of all 5. Then users have to play games to get access to the Multiplier range "other" than the default range.
John C.

PS:- See http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to "Circuits article to see how mobo/bios "toggles" the default Multiplier signal circuits.

Last edited:
1.) Soltek Motherboard for AMD Processors, NVIDIA nForce2 (IGP + MCP2), Model SL-75MRN-L Retail
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron processor
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (IGP + MCP2)

Soltek SL-75MRN-L “Golden Flame” Motherboard Review
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=447

2.) Soltek Motherboard for AMD Processors Model SL-75FRN2-RL
Specifications: Supported Cpu: AMD Socket-462 Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron processor
Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 (nForce2 SPP) + MCP

http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=13-180-039

I've built four custom rigs, using these two boards... 2 with built in grafics, 2 without. i've put both barton (xp2500) and tbred (xp1800) on them... every multi was avialable and adjustable.

that includes all multi's after 12, 12.5, etc...

Back