• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken CPU? - Help me!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

I tried a cpu/motherboard swap tonight and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Here is what I did:

Took the 2500 out of my A7N8X and put in my 1700+. I did this because I wanted my room to be cooler and the 1.5 volt processor was running at the same speed as my 2500 on the OEM fan! The 2500 wasn't stable over 2.09 anyway.

Regardless, I had the TT Volcano 11 with the smart fan 2 on it and I bought a SK-7 to use with the smart fan as I heard it is more efficient than the V11.

Everything was going well and I put all of the parts back together. New layer of ceramique, AMD cpu shim, SK-7 and then mounted the smart fan.

Cleared the bios, plugged everything back in and powered on. All of the fans start up but after 5 seconds or so - fast beeping. :mad: Like 2-3 times a second. I have never had this error before and I am hoping you all can tell me what is going on.

I tried clearing the bios again and that didn't work. Right now I have removed the cooler and am going to remount it. I hope that works, but if it doesn't I will need some help.

I don't think I hard broke the cpu as I had the shim in there and I thought that made it impossible to destroy the processor.

Help me please!!

Posidon42 said:
I tried a cpu/motherboard swap tonight and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Here is what I did:

Took the 2500 out of my A7N8X and put in my 1700+. I did this because I wanted my room to be cooler and the 1.5 volt processor was running at the same speed as my 2500 on the OEM fan! The 2500 wasn't stable over 2.09 anyway.

Regardless, I had the TT Volcano 11 with the smart fan 2 on it and I bought a SK-7 to use with the smart fan as I heard it is more efficient than the V11.

Everything was going well and I put all of the parts back together. New layer of ceramique, AMD cpu shim, SK-7 and then mounted the smart fan.

Cleared the bios, plugged everything back in and powered on. All of the fans start up but after 5 seconds or so - fast beeping. :mad: Like 2-3 times a second. I have never had this error before and I am hoping you all can tell me what is going on.

I tried clearing the bios again and that didn't work. Right now I have removed the cooler and am going to remount it. I hope that works, but if it doesn't I will need some help.

I don't think I hard broke the cpu as I had the shim in there and I thought that made it impossible to destroy the processor.

Help me please!!

I am really sorry to tell you this, but the fast beeping usually means the cpu was overheating, you might have lost your 1700, did the beeping start right away?
Here are all the possibilities IMO:
1.) the fan is not plugged into the cpu fan header and the sytem freaks and shuts down, no damage at all.

2.) the HSF was not mounted properly and there is improper contact between the cpu and HSF causing the cpou to overheat

3.) Something got stuck underneath the HSF also causing improper contact causing cpu to overheat

4.) you chipped the core

5.) when you cleared the BIOS it was corrupted.
Nforce boards do that alot.

it could be none, 1 or a combination of the listed above.

My Apologies :(
good luck!
-Nick

even with the shim it is very possible to damage the core - also make sure that it doesnt look 'burnt,' as improper use of the shim could make the heatsink sit incorrectly -and/or- not at all, leaving a gap between the heatsink and the core. Those beeps are very specific - - google search for the Award Bios Beep Codes - turn on ur pc (after checking to make sure the cpu is okay) and pay close attention to figure out the timing of the beeps - - from the code list you can figure it out - hopefully ^_^...

(other possible causes that came to mind: 1) make sure you put the battery and jumper back to their default positions after you cleared the bios, make sure you didnt leave them in the "clear" position. 2) uhh...i dont really know what else...lol, make sure all the cables and cards are seated correctly? 3) pray? 4) go to church/temple 5) offer a sacrifice to the god Computorious? LOL... i think my answers got progressively worse-and-more-desperate...

Well I haven't given up yet. How could it be overheating in 5 seconds? And I don't see any obvious signs of damage and didn't hear anything breaking when I installed the cpu so I just don't know... will post back when I have results after reinstalling the heatsink.

GREAT NEWS!! Found out it wasn't the processor afterall. I forgot to plug in the molex connector that goes to my 9500!! Can you believe it. Too bad I already put my 2500 back in... well since I know what the problem is maybe I will put the 1700 back now... again... :(

Let this be a lesson to you all to double check connections BEFORE powering up. Oh well. :)

Posidon42 said:
Well I haven't given up yet. How could it be overheating in 5 seconds? And I don't see any obvious signs of damage and didn't hear anything breaking when I installed the cpu so I just don't know... will post back when I have results after reinstalling the heatsink.

OK, did you smell any burning? if it burned you would most likely smell it.

And yes, if the hs is not making proper contact, it will get really hot really quickly.

when you reinstall the hs, check for damage, burning etc.

Also, i would do what dremmmatt said about reaseaching what the beeps mean. just go googling ;)

but if it has an nvidia chipset, it could be bios corruption, but lets just hope it turns out that like, your memory ot vga card wasnt all the way in :D i like the way thos end, just an "oh DOH" and no damage :D so lets hope for the best :D kinda like when the check engine light comes on and you left the gas cap open lol.

Cheers!
-f1
:)

up and running again with my 1700! I have never seen temps this low on my 2500. CPU diode temp is 43C right now at full load. With my 2500 I would frequently see it as high as 60C. I am going to give the ceramique a couple of days to burn in or whatever it does and then... bring on the overclocking!!

Thanks for the help guys.

Posidon42 said:
up and running again with my 1700! I have never seen temps this low on my 2500. CPU diode temp is 43C right now at full load. With my 2500 I would frequently see it as high as 60C. I am going to give the ceramique a couple of days to burn in or whatever it does and then... bring on the overclocking!!

Thanks for the help guys.

Well, what did it turn out to be? just somthing seated wrong? anything in the hs?

Well I guess that post never went through. Turns out I forgot to plug in the auxiliary power connector to my 9500. That is what was causing the beeping. However, it is a good thing that it did that because I had mounted the heat sink REALLY poorly. There is no alignment on the SK-7 between the attachment points and it turns out that I had it sitting on the raised part of the socket!! :bang head:

Only about half of the cpu was covered with ceramique so I know that my overclocking endeavors would not have turned out well. Oh well, live and learn. Just remember to plug everything back in before applying power!

Back