• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New processor: 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murrayman

I have a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with a Palomino core and I want to overclock it. I know that the multiplier is locked and I know the way to unlock it, but I just don't want to go through all that work. I just bought a AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with a T-Bred core because I heard that the multiplier works and you can get good speeds out of it.

I also bought a new Vantec FalconRock Heatsink and Fan with it and hoping that i'll be able to do some good OC without high temps.

I bought this all over the internet and i'm now waiting for it to come. Does anybody know how well you can OC a 1700+ and am I getting a good cooler for it?:(

Check www.overclockers.com's cpu database - - most people though get 1700's to around 2.3GHz on Air; after that it requires a LOT of voltage and a rather hefty investment in cooling exotica.
Overclocking is really only at its height with an nForce2 board, so if you want to get the most performance from ur AthlonXP and DDR memory, get one of those! OR DIE! (j/k :p)
Peace Outside!

I have a ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard (with the VIA KT400A) and a stick of PC3200 DDR 400 512 MB Elixir memory with a copper heatsink. I've overclocked my 1800+ by the FSB with no problem. I can get up to 1667 Mhz with a FSB of 145/36 at 1.8 V. It's just that I can't get the multiplier to work.

In otherwords, I can overclock just fine. I also have a AMD Athlon T-Bird 1200 and have no problem with the multiplier, so I know the BIOS isn't corrupt.

I was going to get a nForce2 board but heard that it had poor OC capabilities, so I went against it. Heard about VIA and took it right up. I like it just great, just need a good CPU with good OC capabilities.

I checked the database and was amazed by how well you can OC it. Thanks for the link. Now that I know air coolers work just fine, does anyone know if my choice of cooler is good (it's not Vantec, it's Speeze, just to let all of you guys know)?

I got my personal 1700 up to 2.0ghz, and about 5 1700s on nforce 2 boards up to 2.2 - 2.4 ran prime 24/7 before i clocked back to normal to sell them.

The nForce boards are really great for overclocking, its too bad you heard different. Alot of people are having great success with them. As for the 1700+ I hope you get a T-bred B because they will overclock much better than a T-bred A. Good Luck.

murrayman said:
I was going to get a nForce2 board but heard that it had poor OC capabilities, so I went against it. Heard about VIA and took it right up.

Hi, murrayman, welcome to the forum, I'm sorry someone misinformed you.

The wisest thing to do is to post q here prior to purchase. There are many knowledgeable people who’ve helped me decide what to buy and what not to buy here in the past.

Here's the scoop on the mobos: There is something called a PCI lock and nForce2s have it and VIA mobos do not.

Increasing the FSB changes the speed of the whole motherboard and everything connected to it unless the mobo has a PCI lock. PCI lock is good because it saves your other components from the negative effects of overclocking.

VIA mobos use a divider.

First of all FSB is more importnat than MHz.
MHz is FSB x multiplier but the idea is to have the highest FSB possible. Without a PCI lock, that may not be an option. This is why:
Lets’ say VIA mobo has a /4 divider for 133 FSB and a /5 divider for 166 FSB.

That means 166 / 5 is about 33.2 default.
180 /5 = 36 and 190 /5=38.

38. That’s 15% out of specs your hard drive and sound cards and everything connected to the mobo is running out of specs.

You go further than that and you’ll be entering into hard drive scrambling territory... unless you have a PCI lock which nForce2 does and VIA does not.

So you see while a particular VIA mobo may have nice features, you would have to give up hitting well over 220 FSB with fine RAM sticks such as this one
twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
http://www.memoryx.net/gn256pc3200.html
which has a track record of hitting 220 FSB and up on nForce2s.

The best heatsink is the $15.99 Thermalright SK-7

CPUs? Read this:
c627627 said:
You can pay 40-something dollars and end up with a good chip.
But if we're talking guaranteed in writing Thoroughbred B,

After all this time it appears that it's still the same choice of three:

1. 1700+ out of pocket cost $49 for guaranteed B: http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=267 (because it's 40% cheaper than guaranteed DLT3C B)

2. 2100+ guaranteed B at Newegg (because it's $9 cheaper than guaranteed DLT3C B at excaliberpc.com)

3. You laugh at 40% cheaper and $9 cheaper part? Then spend $ on 2500+ Barton

Good luck.

Murrayman, I've got basically the same thing you've got, I don't know what stepping you're 1700+ is but mine is like AIUWA or something similar. It's not a bad stepping but it's not the best. You could expect maybe 200Mhz less with a Tbred A than a B. Either one you get the motherboard you and I have will limit you quiet a bit. I would look into the Asus A7N8X Deluxe as a great nForce2 board or any of the A7N8X boards will be fine.

I've got my 1700+ A to 1.85Ghz before but I had to bump the voltage a little (1.7vcore). You'll want to stay UNDER 38Mhz PCI bus as this board doesn't have an agp/pci lock. If your temps are fine it won't be too bad but you'll be losing about 500Mhz if you get a B and 300Mhz or so if you get an A compared to a board that you can lock the PCI bus.

The Thermalright that c627627 posted is great paired with a high cfm fan. Good luck with the overclocking and welcome to the boards:)

Thanks for the welcome, and maybe someday i'll find a good price for the A7N8X mobo.

It was just about two weeks ago that I got this mobo. I was trying to decide between the nForce2 chipset and a VIA. VIA's history has always been bright in the OC department. I guess they just are not the same anymore:(

Thanks for the OC tips and info. I still hope that maybe i'll have good OC options when I get my new CPU.

Oh yeah, I WILL ASK FOR INFO BEFORE BUYING A NEW CPU OR MOBO. I learned...the hard way. I'll still post how high I get the speed when I recieve it:)

Good luck. If you get a T-Bred A, you'll hit up to 2.0 GHz. If you get a T-Bred B, you may hit up to 2.3 GHz. Gameve.com sells $49 guaranteed in writing T-Bred B.

..and pssst, unless you're looking for specific mobo features, OC-wise, Asus A7N8X is not the top of the line. Abit is.

I'd say I'd go for Abit or Soltek nForce2 depending on the budget.

Sounds like a plan. I'll be on the look for a cheap, RELIABLE, Abit or Soltek mobo with nForce2.

Does newegg just send out Athlon T-Bred A's and B's randomly? If so, I MADE A BAD DECISION! I'll accept a nice 2 Ghz compared to 1.6 Ghz. Even at 1.6 Ghz, I get a 3D Mark 2001 SE rating of 7230.

Newegg guarantees 2100+ to be B's. It's a good place to buy 2500+ Bartons too. It is not a good place to buy below 2100+ CPUs. People report getting A's as often as B's. Best place to buy below 2100+ CPUs?

The answer is right here in your thread. Here it is again 4u:
CPUs? Read this:
c627627 said:
You can pay 40-something dollars and end up with a good chip.
But if we're talking guaranteed in writing Thoroughbred B,

After all this time it appears that it's still the same choice of three:

1. 1700+ out of pocket cost $49 for guaranteed B: http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=267 (because it's 40% cheaper than guaranteed DLT3C B)

2. 2100+ guaranteed B at Newegg (because it's $9 cheaper than guaranteed DLT3C B at excaliberpc.com)

3. You laugh at 40% cheaper and $9 cheaper part? Then spend $ on 2500+ Barton

By the way there is a cheaper stripped down version of Abit nForce2. You know, without great onboard sound, etc. So if you have PCI cards that you're going to stick in the new mobo, compare this to inexpensive Soltek nForce2s:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=181_220&products_id=867

What RAM are you using? Decision on mobo depends on whether you are using PC2100, PC2700 or the best other option:

One other reason I ordered from newegg was because they have specials sometimes, such as the 1700+ refurbished for 30 dollars. For that cheap, I really don't care if I get an A or B.

Either way, it's an improvement from what I have now. Too bad I just recently burned up my Athlon Thunderbird 1400. I've never seen such an overclockable CPU until then. Got it out of a burned up motherboard, now a burned up CPU. It wasn't really burned up, SOMEBODY STEPPED ON IT! The pins were soo bent, that when they were straightened, no results. Didn't even post. I still got it with my other old CPU's, but this is a whole other story.

1700+ will be here soon. Still hoping for the best:)

c627627 said:

Hi, murrayman, welcome to the forum, I'm sorry someone misinformed you.

The wisest thing to do is to post q here prior to purchase. There are many knowledgeable people who’ve helped me decide what to buy and what not to buy here in the past.

Here's the scoop on the mobos: There is something called a PCI lock and nForce2s have it and VIA mobos do not.

Increasing the FSB changes the speed of the whole motherboard and everything connected to it unless the mobo has a PCI lock. PCI lock is good because it saves your other components from the negative effects of overclocking.

VIA mobos use a divider.

First of all FSB is more importnat than MHz.
MHz is FSB x multiplier but the idea is to have the highest FSB possible. Without a PCI lock, that may not be an option. This is why:
Lets’ say VIA mobo has a /4 divider for 133 FSB and a /5 divider for 166 FSB.

That means 166 / 5 is about 33.2 default.
180 /5 = 36 and 190 /5=38.

38. That’s 15% out of specs your hard drive and sound cards and everything connected to the mobo is running out of specs.

You go further than that and you’ll be entering into hard drive scrambling territory... unless you have a PCI lock which nForce2 does and VIA does not.

So you see while a particular VIA mobo may have nice features, you would have to give up hitting well over 220 FSB with fine RAM sticks such as this one
twinmos/ch-5 winbond pc3200
which has a track record of hitting 220 FSB and up on nForce2s.

The best heatsink is the $15.99 Thermalright SK-7

CPUs? Read this:

Good luck.

When you say it locks the PCI bus, is that ONLY PCI slots or does that include AGP?
I'm thinking about getting this board as the max FSB I can really get outta this board is 342mhz stable.

Back