• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel - is 2x512 the same as 1Gb r 512Mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toadwart

I am just making sure that I understand the distinction here. If you have 2x512's it increases memory bandwidth, allowing you to transfer information faster, does this mean that you really only have 512 Mb's of RAM, but it runs faster than a single 512 chip, or do you actively have 1 Gb of RAM, and it just works in synch to provide faster transfer rates?

1 gig of memory will give you about 10-15% gain as opposed to 512 MB memory. That about current operating system like Windows XP. 2x256 dual channel will give you about 60-75% gain as opposed to a single 512 chip. Meaning dual channel 2x256 MB is much faster than 1 Gig single chip.

That about Intel Pentium, in case of AMD 2x256 MB is about 3-4% better than one single 512 MB chip.

toadwart said:
I am just making sure that I understand the distinction here. If you have 2x512's it increases memory bandwidth, allowing you to transfer information faster, does this mean that you really only have 512 Mb's of RAM, but it runs faster than a single 512 chip, or do you actively have 1 Gb of RAM, and it just works in synch to provide faster transfer rates?

The second point is correct. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but in dual mode you still have 1Gig with 2x512meg sticks.

RideGuy

The size of memory stays the same, the bandwidth is increased. Think like a cartoon of juice with two openning. There are two independent channels connecting NB and memory subsystem.
You have the same amount of juice just it goes out faster.

whatever2003 said:
The size of memory stays the same, the bandwidth is increased. Think like a cartoon of juice with two openning. There are two independent channels connecting NB and memory subsystem.
You have the same amount of juice just it goes out faster.

Well that's a great way to describe it, never seen anyone put it in laymans terms like that before :cool:

Thank you, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I thought that is the way in which it worked, but wasnted clarification.

Back