• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with 2200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pipsquek

Registered
I just took off my hsf and cleaned the dust out etc.. applied another thin layer of AS3, however I started it back up went thru the bios thing. Ive got 2 options to set the CPU Mhz. One is 1350 and the other is 1800. I can only set it to 1350mhz, if I set it to 1800 like I had it before it will not work. It will just sit there and do nothing. Its on an A7V333 mobo.

Sounds like your BIOS is setting the FSB too high, or the multiplier too high. It has to be one or the other. I've learned that with a A7V333 mobo, the CPU's default speed will work when you FIRST put it in. If you remove it and either insert another CPU, or just put it back in, the BIOS sets the FSB and multiplier to it's own settings.

That mobo usually sets the Multiplier too high. As long as your CPU is unlocked (don't worry if you have a T-Bred core) you can set these settings right. To get 1800, you need a FSB of 166. But if you can set the multiplier, run it down to 10.0 and set the FSB at 180. If it still fails, go for another CPU or check and make sure that you haven't put too much thermal paste on (i've had it short out or decrease the CPU speed!).

Best of luck:)

Is the CPU/PCI Frequency Mhz the fsb in bios? If so i see a 180/36 I think it was, I hear that if you set that above 34 you start haveing problems?

Also all the CPU External Frequency Selection switches on my motherboard are set to off. I never did switch them when I installed so those are set the same as when it was working at 1800mhz

Ok, default multiplier for the 2200 is 13.5. At a glance:

1350=13.5x100mhz
1800=13.5x133mhz This is the stock speed my mobo runs at when I set the 100/133 switch on my board to 133.

Not sure what that BIOS looks like, but when I'm screwing around trying to O/C and I get an unstable combo and have to reboot, my mobo "runs home to mama" at 133FSB. Seems like yours defaults to 100. Look around and see if you can find something that changes that.

Also all the CPU External Frequency Selection switches on my motherboard are set to off. I never did switch them when I installed so those are set the same as when it was working at 1800mhz

Normally I would say that was it but if you never switched it...?? Could try it anyway.

Ok went to bios set the CPU i chose the 1350 option which set it to 13.5 and 100/33 runs fine, then I set it to 1800 which automatically set it to 13.5 and 133/33 then i save changes and exit, it boots and does the one beep after that a bunch of colors and numbers/letters flash very fast at the top of my screen, then i have to set it back to 1350. Then on the mobo i changed the switches to 133 started up the puter and it wouldnt even go into bios.

Also all the CPU External Frequency Selection switches on my motherboard are set to off.

Ok, I'm guessing you have the documentation but I'm not sure exactly what that means. If you mean they are all in the "off" position, I don't see any configurations that match that. I'd try the second configuration (133) if you haven't already.

a7v333 switches

Ive got a sticker inside the case that shows that as well as other jumpers on the board etc... I know what you mean I didnt see a setting when they were all in the off position, though they were when I had it at 1800mhz for a year. I used the 2nd configuration for 133, on,off,off,off.off.on but it wouldnt work. It would turn on thats it, but nothing on the screen not even bios. However I set it to 100 (the first configuration) and it workd but still at 1350. I wanted to start overclockin a bit so thats why I took the HSF out and cleaned it etc.. but now im at a stump hehe. Hope im not bothering you fellas with my problem :)

If it helps any I wrote down some numbers on the processor when I had the hsf off. One is AXDA2200KV3C and the other is AIRGA 0231VPAW

AXDA2200KV3C

That K means you've got a TbredA. Go back a couple days and look for my thread on 2200B results. Got some out of it but the A version doesn't even overclock that well. If you hit 1.95-2.0gig stable that would be pretty good.

Figured you knew what you were doing with the switches. Was the board packaged like that? If so, and you were running at 1800 for a year, default should be 133. Long shot-but you could try pulling the CMOS battery, set the CPU speed switches back to off. Then there should be a jumper to clear the CMOS-switch it, switch it back, put the battery back in. I don't know if you feel like pulling the cpu or mem off (again) while the battery is out but that couldn't hurt.

And don't forget to unplug the thing... :)

Ok cleared the cmos with all that stuff out etc... Got it back in and still no go. Mind you that its still running at 1350 hehe but no 1800. And I figured out the switches, they are all off because it is set to jumper free mode, got in depth with the manual :)

Back