• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick stupid question 'bout RAM speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I'm not sure where to put this but since it is more about RAM I'll stick it here. I have a gigabyte board that supports up to DDR 3200. and Im currently running an XP 2400 with 1gig PC2100 RAM (got deals on most of it) and if I were to upgrade to an XP2500 barton would I have to upgrade my RAM or does it not matter? My brain just may not be working today but I think it does
matter, right? since I cant post the board at 166mhz (tried last night) so the RAM wont be able to run fast enough. Anyways, thanks for the help.

*edit* lol, I just noticed that Mushkin place is located about 30-40 minute drive away from me haha.

Last edited:
Well you will be lucky to get that ram to run at 166 or pc-2700 speeds, i was really close with my old ram, it reached 163mhz, i had the timing really loose and the volatage the hole way up to 2.9 vdimm, so if you can run the ram at 166 that you could run a 2500 barton at stock, but than the only to overclock it would be through the multi. So the pc-3200 ram is probbly a good idea.

Ah ok.. figured as much I guess. and the best I can get the board to post at is 164.. so I guess Ill upgrade RAM first. What would you recommend as decent PC 3200 RAM? need for overclockability isnt that high since my board is crappy in that area. Looking for a PC3200 512 either with 1 or 2 sticks if there is a performance increase. And Thanks for the help with the question ;)

Do you plan on upgrading the motherboard any time soon, if you plan on evuntly getting a Nforce 2 board or another board that uses Dual DDR than you will want two sticks. I have a Twinx set of Corsair PC-3200LLPT and right now they are running 218Mhz in dual mode, the timings are 11-3-3-2.5 with a 2.8 vdimm voltage. Corsair is a good brand, OCZ, Mushkin, Buffalo, and Kingston. I am not an expert on memory so i would sugest that you post in the memory fourm, all i know is that with Corsair is that you want the XMS LL chips not the C2 chips. Good luck with finding some memory.

Back