• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XunknownX

Disabled
My case has an intake fan in the front, an intake fan on my side panel and two exhaust fans in the back. My question is about the side panel fan. If any of you have one, do you guys make it an exhaust or intake? My case came with it already installed and had the side panel fan as an exhaust....btu it seemed to make more sense to me to make it an intake. What do you guys think?

835115991447.jpg

I would make it an intake fan. Doesn't disrupt the flow of exhaust as much as an exhaust would.

Yeah I would make it an intake fan, you want the flow of air into your case to roughly equal that out of your case, and since you already have two as exhaust, I'd make it two for intake.

Thanks. THat's what I figured and I have it as an intake. Just wondering why they shipped my case with it as an exhaust.

Intake is the way to go. s others have said it does not mess up the air flow as much and it could even help a little by blowing directly onto the hsf.

Thank You,
Daniel

I want to know why having the front of the case as intake is better than having the rear fans as intake. The rear ones would get cooler, fresher air to the heatsink faster than the front fans. The front fans usually have to push air through hard drives and some cables and over the rest of the motherboard before they reach the heatsink. This means that the air would be warmer by the time that it got to the heatsink right?

hot air rises......hmm makes me wonder about having the side panel fan, the front and rear fans all as intake....but have a big blow hole..... the gears in my head are turning....

Need to have air flow front to rear for best results .Psu flow dictates this to a degree.Hot air hits the wall behind the comp and is stale air.Don't forget the PSU exhaust. As in 3 in & 3 out. Hope THp's..New to the forum ;Archilochus

Last edited:
archilochus is right. the important thing is to create a little bit more air coming in, than going out. a front and side fan plus an exhaust will do you good. don't make your side fan an exhaust unless you are going to have a bunch more coming in. the idea of the side fan is to cool the vid card + cpu area generally.

X, I'd stick with that setup for now. What type power supply do you have? 2 or 1 fan? 1 rear/1 bottom?Or 2 Inline ie less wind turbulance inside PSU.

Back