• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD HSF 80mm->60mm adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howlingyeti

I was wondering if anyone knew how many CFMs a stock AMD heatsink with a 60mm 4600RPM fan puts out. The reason I'm asking is I have a 80mm Everflow that should put out around 39CFMs at 2400RPM and 26dBA. I was thinking of machining myself an adapter that would raise the 80mm fan a few cm off the heat sink to act as a shroud and prevent the "dead spot" syndrom where the center of the fan is. The other advantage that I can see of doing this is that if the sides of the adapter a smooth enough it will act as a venturi. This should speed up the air which hopefully will help cooling. Even if there is no performance gain in the CPU temp atleast it will be much quieter. Is this idea of anyworth? Will the Evercool be able to cool the CPU?

Thanks.

Well yeah, of course I could buy it, but that's taking the easy way out. Actually I figure I can machine for free or alot less than 10 dollars plus shipping to AK. That and I want to machine it myself. The question that is more important in this matter though is: Will a 39CFM fan will be able to cool the heatsink at least as well (and hopefully better) as the faster and much louder 60mm fan?

howlingyeti said:
Well yeah, of course I could buy it, but that's taking the easy way out.
My kinda guy!:D I love to DIY just for the experience
The question that is more important in this matter though is: Will a 39CFM fan will be able to cool the heatsink at least as well (and hopefully better) as the faster and much louder 60mm fan?
If you duct it, I would say yes, depending on the cfm's of the 60mm which I would assume is equal or less than 39cfm.

It'll definitely be quieter than the 60mm, and I would have no doubt it will cool better.
Post some pics when your done, we love pics if you can get em!

The only problem that I can forsee is that the top of the 80mm fan may be as close as a 2 cm to the 120mm Panflo side fan. Hopefully that number will be around 3cm clearance or possibly more if the adapter is machined at a lower height (Currently thinking adapter/shroud will be around 20mm tall). Will having the 80mm fan that close to the side fan be a problem at all? They both flow in the same direction.

Last edited:
The 60mm fan that came on my 2500+ Barton heatsink pushes 18 CFM. Almost any 80mm fan will work better then the stock AMD 60mm fans.

How many CFM does the 120mm Panaflo push? If the air velocity is greater than or equal to that of the 80mm Everflow you should be fine. Is the heatsink fan centered with the 120mm (the dead spots aligned)? If so, you might be in trouble, or it mihgt help. I'm not sure. Even more interesting is if the fans spin opposite directions - but I'll save that for later. :D

The panflo side fan is a 84CFM model that's 7 volted. It's suppose to be pushing around 68 CFMs or so but that's the "ideal" CFM rating. The "ideal" rating for the 80mm Everflow is 39CFM, so no problem there. The side fan isn't centered with the heatsink. The centerpoint (and dead zone) are offset so that the CPU gets a good solid stream of air.

I think the stock AMD fan does around 25CFM, found an Akasa product on a site that looked like my cooler :p. Not only will the 80mm be cooler, the 60mm generates more vibrational noise due to the higher revs and the bearings also rattle. Gets quite annoying.

After some quick measurements of two fans I have and some math (I can show you my work if you want), I estimated that the 80mm fan pushes air at about 50 feet per minute (not CFM, but velocity) faster than the 120mm fan. This might be a problem if the 80mm fan is too close to the 120mm fan. It won't do any damage, but it might try to recycle some of the case air, or steal fresh intake air from the northbridge or AGP. Considering though that there will be some resistance from the shroud, the 80mm fan won't be pushing its full 39 CFM. Overall, you will see temps less than with the stock fan, and less noise.

L337 M33P, my AMD stock fan does 18 CFM, as confirmed by a search on Google for the part number. Do a search on your fan's number - I'd be interested in hearing that there are different speeds of AMD 60mm fan.

So if the 80mm Evercool has a higher volocity (speed) than the 120mm Panflo it will actually pull the panflo? If I increase the gap from around 3 cm to 4cm will that negate the effect?

No matter what the gap is, the effect will be the same - the 80mm Evercool will take about as much air as the 120mm provides in that area, then recycle air from the inside of the case to make up for the rest. It's still definitely better then having no side intake, and better than using the 60mm fan because regardless of what air is being pushed onto it, it's cooler than the CPU heatsink and there's more of it going through.

I took the 60mm,7000rpm fan off my Coolermaster HHC-001, and replaced it with a Sunon 80mm, 2800 rpm (34cfm) fan on a CompUsa fan adapter. My temps increased slightly (3-4*C), but the machine is so much more quiet now!

My load temps are now 49-50*C and idle is 43-44*C, not bad considering the small degree of overclock. :)

PS-The fan adapter was $4 @ CompUSA (PC Toys brand)

A quick update:

I've decided that milling the adapter out of a chunk of alumunium is a little too costly and will take to much time. Basicly I couldn't find any scrap in the machine shop. I've tried two versions made out of sheetmetal and my most recent plexiglass attempt is laying in the trash. I still got some ideas left and I'm still working on it. If I ever figure out how to get it built I'll post some hints here.

One thing that you might have overlooked is the back pressure that you will be getting. When you use a larger fan that doesnt push a lot of CFM & has very little pressure while ducting with an abrupt angle will prove to be a performance loss. Fan adaptors are almost always bad.

I assume back pressure means that air pressure is greater closer to the heatsink than behind the fan? This would mean that the naturally tendenency of air would be to flow back out, against the direction of the fan? I have a side fan that will be very close to the HSF (2-3 cm gap) pushing 84 CFM. Wouldn't this negate any back pressure? Or would it increase it?

I used the Comp USA 60>80mm adapter on my HHC-001 using a 2800 rpm 80mm fan. I did not notice any decrease in temps but it was a little quieter.

I ditched this setup and ran a duct from the side of the case and attached it to the original 60mm screamer. This sucks in room temp air rather than hotter case air. The duct is such that I can take off the side of the case and the duct remains taped to the fan on the HS. I also made a air filter out of a stocking. This setup did lower the temps by a few degrees.

The HHC-001 really needs to be made wider on the top to fit a 80mm fan. The extra fin width would help cooling and the 80mm fan would help noise. It could also benefit from MB mounting screws so the place where the clip crosses the HS could be filled in with a few more fins. With these mods the HHC-001 would rule.

howlingyeti said:
I assume back pressure means that air pressure is greater closer to the heatsink than behind the fan? This would mean that the naturally tendenency of air would be to flow back out, against the direction of the fan? I have a side fan that will be very close to the HSF (2-3 cm gap) pushing 84 CFM. Wouldn't this negate any back pressure? Or would it increase it?

I don't believe that it would help because the air will travel were it will get the least amount of resistance. In your original post you mentioned about venturi effect, a constricting adaptor design is only part of the required shape. Without creating the 2nd step to the venturi design you will not be able to accelerate the air column. Do a search for VELOCITY STACKS in the cooling section, since we both understand the air flow characteristics of this particular shape I'm sure you'll find it an interesting read.

Well I got two sides setting up in the garage right now. This is either the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end... cross your fingers. :D

Back