• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this pushing it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr CabDriver

Registered
I just overclocked my 2500 barton to 2100mhz - 190x11, 1.75 v.
my current temperatures are:

board: 44C
CPU: 62C

I am only using stock fans. Is this too hot for running the system?
This is the first time I'm doing this so bare with me.

thanks

Run Prime95 Torture test. Can you pass it and what are the temps under full load?

Most people would choose to go with a $15.99 Thermalright SK-7 heatsink since it will allow you to get FSB way in the 200s with that RAM. You could be doing 2.3 GHz+ instead of 2.0 GHz with a $15.99 investment.
You would prolong the life of your CPU too.

Those temps seem pretty warm but if you're not experiencing any instability your motherboard may just be reporting wrong temps which Abit boards are known to do quiet regularly. I second the SK-7 idea.

Make sure you also buy a good fan to go with that SK-7 or any other new hs you might buy.

Just remember, the lower your temps, the higher your o/c.

Your board really shouldn't be at 44 unless it's unbelievably hot where you live, and even then it's too high. I'm guessing you have a passive heatsink on the NB and poor airflow through the case. That would also explain your processor temp. Solution: Remove the side of your case and blow a house fan in (12" oscillating deal for cheap) into it. It's quiet and you'll be amazed at your new temps.

Also....
Are you using ArcticSilver3 for your thermal compound? Stock HS?
Try lapping? In a mini case or full tower case?
Give more detail. We will help you. :)

RedDawg41 said:
dude, he's a cabbie driver, of course it's gonna get hot in there! :)

LOL....Thanks for all these suggestions guys.. I dont know what I'd do without this forum.

Are you using ArcticSilver3 for your thermal compound? Stock HS?
Try lapping? In a mini case or full tower case?

I didn't buy anything extra for the computer. Everything as it pertains to cooling is stock. ArcticSilver? I dont know what that is or what it does. Hopefully you get a general idea of what I need from what I've said though.

Overall air flow through the case is more important than the heat sink. The best heat sink in the world will not cool the CPU if you have no air flow in the case. There are loads of good info in the cooling forum. Take some time and read on. That's what I did for the first few weeks.

Back