• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exotic Radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

well, for a new project, a multi PC cooling unit, with additional usage as harddrive rack case, is going to be built, so i went to the local scrap dealer, asking for a heater core, good, fairly big, and copper, as i like copper coolers.. he had a few, showing em off, he asked why i wanted copper specificly, so i told him i dident wanted to mix metals... he then proceded to sugest something i acttualy never thought off, i have seen some "toys" in stores but never looked on it seriues.. a plastic radiator, quistion is, how good / bad are they really? Any ideas? Offcourse, it would differ from radiator to another, but in general?

Happy for ANY thought...
B!

Just by a big huge real radiator, and hook it up ;)

But a platic one? Doesn't sound too great to me :D

yea and a plastic one from a toy store might melt if the temperature gets high...which it will becuase plastic is an insulator and your water will get hot

Actualy, Carbon bonded plastic DO lead heat good, and they ARE withstandin HIGH temps, thats NOT the problem, reason for asking was as it is avilable to me, from the scrap yard, offcourse, used from the heater unit in a car... Duh!

Get a grip dudes... I asked a fairly straight question, i dident tell you all a bad joke.
B!

Heck if it is free it may be a good experiment. Might even be interesting to see it compared to a copper rad, post some results if you do it. I would still think that carbon bonded plastic wouldn't be as good as copper radiator(carbon metal is not as good as copper, heat transfer ability speaking) but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something:D

Last edited:
Um, a block would most likely be performing worse then a copper one, but it is the radiator, and for molding reasons, it might be possible to make a low flowresistant, lots of surface area (water / material way i am thinking) that might make it would out good, im going to try and talk to him... See what happends..

Wish me luck!
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
...something i acttualy never thought off, i have seen some "toys" in stores but never looked on it seriues.. a plastic radiator...

Happy for ANY thought...
B!

Why did you mention a plastic toy if you're using a radiator from a car? And hey, you're supposed to be HAPPY for ANY thought! ;)

If the same kind of carbon is used here, all signs would point to sweetness...

heh.. polyester...

I said i had seen something like it, "toys" as it is things one would like to play with, not as if they were shoped in a toy store, com on, what do you think im up to, building a lego PC with watercooling?

*- )
B!

-=Mr_B=- said:
Um, a block would most likely be performing worse then a copper one, but it is the radiator, and for molding reasons, it might be possible to make a low flowresistant, lots of surface area (water / material way i am thinking) that might make it would out good, im going to try and talk to him... See what happends..

Wish me luck!
B!
Ahh crap, my bad. I meant radiator, I edited it to reflect that.

-=Mr_B=- said:
I said i had seen something like it, "toys" as it is things one would like to play with, not as if they were shoped in a toy store, com on, what do you think im up to, building a lego PC with watercooling?

*- )
B!

lol, i read it wrong...you said you saw "toys" in some stores

yes they do make plastic radiators. my car and just about every chrylser mad from the mid 90's on uses one. it will work. since you're dealing with water maybe plastic would be doable. i don't think you can get one at a toy store though. name a plastic toy that uses a radiator.

Ok, so its known, its more then my linguistic skills that sucks, read the first post again, and again, untill you get it right, i never said it was toys, i said "toys" as in things you want to play with, ladies, fast cars, PC stuff, and so on are "toys"

Take care!
B!

Back