• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD advice needed MB + CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
here is the deal.
I want to play Half-life 2 (then Doom3) and i dont think the current Tualatin I got going is going tobe able to cut it...
And with Socket -T around the corrner, buying intel doesnt make any sence right now as for the money and lack of upgrade path, i dont think they are worth the money.

Onto the money issue. I dont plan on breaking any overclocking records with this setup as top of the line is a waste of oney yet again right now IMHO as no upgrade path is avalible with DDR-II coming soon and PCI express....

So with that all in mind, this is what I am thinking

MotherBoard : Abit NF7
CPU: Barton 2500+ or T-bred 2400+
(Advise on the CPU would be really great)

Probly not going to go dual channel as it doesnt do much for AMD systems (do prove me wrong) when you are not using intergrated graphics. I dont care what a memory benchmark shows, but if you know a real world situation were the 15% incress in price for dual channel will give me a 15% faster computer, do share. and with that said, i am probly going to pick up a 512 stick of CAS 2 PC3200 (like i said no OC records here)

AGP card will probly be a ATI 9800NP
as i dont think a GeForce 3 is going to cut it.

and as for cooling, i am thinking, a Vantec Aeroflow HSF, its CHEAP, low NIOSE and a fairly effective.

The life span of this computer is most likly untill Intel comes out with a Socket -T Motherboard (that can upgrade to Tejas) DDR-2 and PCI-Express.. so about 1 year maybe a little more i think... thus trying to keep the cost down with still being able to play.

Also would like to mention of have been away from a computer for a VERY good portion of the summer so if I am way off base here, do let me know. And as always and feedback is always great.

Very nice choices, all of them. Dual channel delievers around 5% of an increase in bandwidth- not much to fret over. Replace the Vantec Aeroflow with a Thermalright SK7 and the 80mm fan of your choice. The Smart Fan II seems to be favored choice here. A 2500+ Barton would be your best option for a CPU. The additional cache can be helpful, and most overclock very well, resulting in a higher net performance than a T-Bred. Make your 9800 a Sapphire; these are the most consistent overclockers.

I second everything Gautum said. Sk-7 is a great bang for the buck HS and the barton is the better bet between those 2 procs. I run dual channel memory and I am not going to argue for it. If not for the fact that I wanted to run a gig of ram I am not sure it would be worth the effort to try and oc 2 sticks of ram in DC due to the very slim performance advantage it brings.

How much do you both think the SK-7 is really worth?
as i can get the Vantec Aeroflow for $35 Canadian, and not have to pay for shipping....
Now if i went for the Sk-7, i am looking at $23 USD for the Heatsink and an extra $17 for the 80mm Vantec Tornado for a grand total of $40 USD or $55 canadian (+shipping still) (grabbing US prices from the heatsink factory and they dont seem to ship to canada)...

Just kind of curious here, but how well do you think a maze1 would hold up at cooling a Barton?

as for the video card, was looking at a Sapphire, so seems like i am heading in the right direction....

you got a good setup going... the sk7 is worth 16 dollars at scv but its hard to find a vendor that sells em in canada.. i remember bootfootcomputers.com had em but uusally they charge an arm and a leg..

Back