• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long can a laptop be on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OcLinNoob

I know laptops have very very very bad cooling, but I'm downloading a file rite now and i still ahve 12 hours left :). I'm wondering how long can i have this laptop on? Don't want it to die just had it for 3 days!!!. Well thanks and laterz. Also btw i wont be running any other application accept for mayb my AIm

its fine.. i had my t22 on for days no problems.. it also helps if you told us what laptop you have..

as long as you're not blocking the exhaust vent you're good

nah I'm not blovking the eshaust whole thing i ahve a compaq presario 2175us

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Manufacturers wouldn't like the idea of a "max time" a laptop could be on. They would have to many warranty claims. I don't see why a laptop coudn't stay on as long as any desktop as long as you don't have the proper intake/outputs blocked, or are using it in car with no AC.

Big_Baller said:
Just dont burn yourself like that scientist awhile ago. (anyone know the link?)

I found a bunch of links using Google but I don't think I wanna give a link here :)

As for the laptop, just don't leave it on a soft surface like a bedsheet. That's a sure way to overheat it (though most newer laptops should turn off instead of dying a firey death). And like everyone else has said, make sure there are ways for air to get in and out of the vents and you should be good to go.

I used my laptop as my main rig for a while, and it had been on for a few weeks with no problems at all.

When I leave my Laptop on, I usually set it on a desk and put something to prop it up on - Such as 4 rubber pieces to keep some room between the desk and the laptop. I find it keeps it cool and stabler (A Presario 17XL)

Yeah, mine's been on for about a month since I turned it off last. Running very well still :)

The longest time my Compaq N1015V have been on is 4 days, then it startade to "Dumping physical memory". For no reason realy.

I leave my on for weeks at a time. Basically I leave it on 24/7, even in the car on the way to places, hehe. As long as you leave it on a flat surface it is fine. If you want it to cool even better place four little things under it to prop it up like Ffats said.

Matt

my grandfater has a laptop in his summer home. summer was over and he went back home. He came back on business and found the laptop still on. This was after a few months. You should be fine.

Back