• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Memory Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thaell

Registered
Ok, so, i am looking at a ga7n400-l1, throwing a xp2500 (barton) and was going hmm dual channel memory..

So, my questions are..

1)you need to have pc3200+ to have it be dual channel according to the manual. So, do you need 3200+"dual channel" (avertised this way)memory, or just pc3200 memory

2) Do brand names need to be the same?

3) What the hell is the difference between "True" and anything that doesnt list true? Should i only buy "True"
? I am guessing yes on this one, but not sure

4) Main question.. Do you need to have your processor running at 400 to match the pc3200 400 to have dual ddr, or not? My theory is, 333 processor sets mem to 333, and i dont understand how dual ddr works, so my theory makes sense to the idiot (myself). Can you run a 333 processor, while having dual ddr pc3200? Or will i need to have a 400 bus speed proc?

5) Random question.. Unless im oc'ing it, is it worthwhile to throw heat spreaders on them?

6) Does brand matter - or is memory memory? :)

7) Will you try to not flame me for being a noob? Tnx~!

1)you need to have pc3200+ to have it be dual channel according to the manual. So, do you need 3200+"dual channel" (avertised this way)memory, or just pc3200 memory

Any memory will do dual channel so long as they are EXACTLY the same module. So, don't order a PC3200 2-2-2 module and then a regular PC3200 module, even of the same brand. Order two of the same.

It's best to, as said above, otherwise you risk it not working.

3) What the hell is the difference between "True" and anything that doesnt list true? Should i only buy "True"

If you're talking about XtremeDDR, stay away. I had a module of it and couldn't get it past 175fsb 2-2-2. It's not good overclocking RAM.

4) Main question.. Do you need to have your processor running at 400 to match the pc3200 400 to have dual ddr, or not? My theory is, 333 processor sets mem to 333, and i dont understand how dual ddr works, so my theory makes sense to the idiot (myself). Can you run a 333 processor, while having dual ddr pc3200? Or will i need to have a 400 bus speed proc?

You can just overclock your processor to 400fsb and lower the multiplier to keep it at stock clock speed. So if your processor is a default of ~2000mhz, with a default multiplier of 12x166 (1992mhz), lower the multiplier on your Nforce2 motherboard to 10.0, then up the FSB to 200mhz (10x200=2000mhz) to keep it at about the same clock while getting the higher bus speed.

Alternatively, you can run the memory in dual channel out of synch with your processor at 200mhz FSB, or run it dual channel at 166mhz fsb with your processor. Running out of synch can degrade performance some, however, so I recommend running in synch. You do NOT need to run at a full 200mhz FSB for dual channel to work, despite what your motherboard's manual may say.

5) Random question.. Unless im oc'ing it, is it worthwhile to throw heat spreaders on them?

Heatspreaders are pretty much decoration, as memory doesn't get very hot even at 2.8-3.0v. If you are going over 3.0v when overclocking it, just have a fan blowing on the RAM or near the RAM and it will be fine. Heatspreaders don't do anything much for actual cooling of memory.

6) Does brand matter - or is memory memory?

Brand does matter in memory. Different brands use different memory chips and PCB qualities. The brands I recommend are Buffalo PC3700 (Winbond BH-5 chips, pretty good PCB), Corsair XMS series (at least PC3200 CAS2 version), and Mushkin Level II Black series. Mushkin is the best, followed by Buffalo, and then Corsair in these areas. However, they are all top of the line memory, and none of the listed ones will disappoint you in the slightest when doing extreme overclocking. There are some other good brands, but these are the best of the best.

We don't flame on these forums... we answer :)!

awesome - thanks alot goldentiger :) You've answered all of my q's (for now - *does evil noon laugh*)

Thanks again ;)

Heat spreaders matter for all the memory that uses more than 2.6V, overclocked or not.
On average they decrease the temperature of the stick by 3-5C, depending on the quality. That is not irrelevant and it might mean increased clock and stability for the memory.
It is good to have active cooling for the memory as well, meaning fans that blow in the direction of sticks.

whatever2003 said:

Heat spreaders matter for all the memory that uses more than 2.6V, overclocked or not.
On average they decrease the temperature of the stick by 3-5C, depending on the quality. That is not irrelevant and it might mean increased clock and stability for the memory.
It is good to have active cooling for the memory as well, meaning fans that blow in the direction of sticks.

Do a quick search using the search button and you'll see that heatspreaders are little more than decoration :).

GoldenTiger said:
Do a quick search using the search button and you'll see that heatspreaders are little more than decoration :).

Makes em look nice in windowed cases! ;)

Do a quick search using the search button and you'll see that heatspreaders are little more than decoration

Search what? Google?

Quality heat spreaders (copper, aluminum) DECREASE CHIP TEMPERATURE FOR 3-5C, that is what I said and that is not irrelevant. Of course they also serve to protect the stick, and to make it look good, and to hide that chip OEM. Nevertheless they serve purpose as I stated.
There is a lot of ignorance about that but I need no google to tell me what I already know.

Dynamic ram (DRAM) is reenergized and that is why it is called dynamic, meaning it spend certain amount of electricity, depending on the type it could be even 5 W or more. That heat is dissipated across the chip. Heated chip has less stability and smaller bandwidth, plus it lasts less. The purpose of heat spreaders is, among other things as said, to act as heatsinks. Depending on the memory type this could be needed more or less, but it is nevertheless with a reason.

Last edited:

Any ram will dual channel so long as they can both run at the same settings (I have 4.5ns generic and 4.0ns adata that dual channel just fine, but are limited to 235 by the 4.5ns generic while the adata can do much more.

No

True in regards to ram means it is actually speced to do that speed, IE 5ns ram is true pc3200.

Depends. Some motherboards will run fine in async and some wont. Have to try it to be sure.

No. Heatspreaders do a better job insulating the chip than cooling it from what I've seen. Just get some airflow over it and it will do ten times what heatspreaders do.

6) Does brand matter - or is memory memory?

Brand matters.

No. You damn newbie.
Gonna post this and edit in the answers.

What a bunch of ignorants with their guesses and no idea what they are talking about.

Stats, DDR, 256 MB, on Abit AT7, thermal measurement taken from a chip:
Under load at 300 MHz - 41C.
Under load, passive cooling (heatsinks) - 38C.
Under load, active cooling (fan on the heatsink, Thermaltake) - 35C.

This is done few months ago. It is obvious that newer memory like DDR 400 and higher makes even more heat. Some GEIL chips, measured by me, have the temperatures even up to 50C.

If you are not overclocking and if you are not using anything over 2.6V on the chip then perhaps you need no heat spreader but claiming that it is not of any thermal use one can make only if he has no idea what he is talking about.

Last edited:
whatever2003 said:
What a bunch of ignorants with their guesses and no idea what they are talking about.

Please try to keep it civil. There is no call for personal attacks, just state your case!

Anybody can repeat the test. Heat spreaders made of copper are few bucks, and so is a thermal tape and probes. tape it on a chip, then put a heat spreader over it and do it again, and finaly if you have active cooling like the one by Thermaltake, try with that, and see for yourself. The above was done on PC 2700 by Dane-Elec, I believe it was Nanja.

I dont think there is any doubt that they lower the temp of RAM a few degrees, but whats the point? at 35-40C they aren't really hindered in any way. I think everyone is arguiung about different things here.

Here's my scientific evaluation. 3.05v through my ram (has a heatspreader) in my case. Cool to the touch. 2.5v through my ram (Same ram) in a dell box, burning hot. 3.05v through ram with no heatspreader in my box. Cool to the touch. Notice the trend? The ONLY time heatspreaders would help is when there is absolutely zero airflow over the ram, and even then they would only help until they heat up to the point that the ram can only disperse heat to them at the same rate they disperse it to the air. Congratulations, you've just made 1 transference of heat into two... and with frag tape in the way too. Good for you.

Back