• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ Pal0mino left in the dust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

i have my old crappy 1700+ Palomino (i think thats what it is). it runs at stock 1.75 volts if that helps. anyway, my mobo is a Soyo Dragon (Via KT266A). the USB support goes out when i oc past 138 fsb...very lame. i know this is because the pci bus is raised and the usb will not work beyond 35mhz. is there anyway i can increase the fsb w/o totally screwin the pci bus? my Bios doesnt have separate options to change the buses. :(

Did you try increasing Vcore voltage?

nForce2 PCI locked mobos are waiting 4 u :) ...

[color=ff9000]Welcome To The Forums!!![/color]

I would try unlocking your chip and raising your multi to overclock it.

Do you have a 1/5 multi? You could shoot for 166mhz.

I beleive only the KT333 and later motherboards have the 1/5 divider... the KT266a doesn't.

The palomino's are multiplier locked so you'll be limited to your o/c with your current setup.

best thing to do is get a 1700/1800+ t-bred 'b' and o/c 'em

well guys.. you forget... overclockers try to get the best out of what they have... so lets get this 1700 pally pumpin!

First, I would unlock it to allow use of all multi's up to 12.5x. Here is one guide, but there are a whole buch out there, so read around untill you are comfortable with doing it yourself.

well guys.. you forget... overclockers try to get the best out of what they have... so lets get this 1700 pally pumpin!

True dat yo......it would be easy to just buy all the stuff....but to do it on the cheap or free is the way to go ;).......I would have to agree....I would unlock that multi......and run it in the higest stable cinfig possible.....maybe you can hit 2ghZ:).....that would be a sweet overclock.....just pay attention to those temps :)....good luck and......

!!!!!!!!Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!

hehe had to be diff and go small ;)

c627627 said:
Did you try increasing Vcore voltage?

nForce2 PCI locked mobos are waiting 4 u :) ...

I second that. Moving to the nForce 2 platform was one of the best bang for the buck moves I've made.

thx for the welcome guys :D i'm definitely gonna try and unlock this monster especially since my temps dont even go over 40 under load :cool:

I would go for trying an unlock - there are plenty guides out there so it shouldnt be a big problem. Basically fill the pits at the L1 bridges then paint across with something conductive to bridge all the L1s. It may be worthwhile double checking that your board allows changing of multipliers in the BIOS/via dipswitches before getting started on the unlock.

For a 1700+ Palomino I would say that you may reach about 1800 to 1900MHz - the Pallys were not as good as the Tbreds as overclocking. With a Tbred B 1700+ 2GHz is practically guaranteed, whereas a lot of Palominos struggled to reach even 2GHz.

*update*

i can't unlock at the moment since i dont have silicone grease (i never use the crap) but i since my mouse was the only usb item i use i decided to use a ps2 adapter with it for now. doing this i upped the fsb to 145 with no problems at all. the only thing is that now my agp bus is at 72mHz when standard is 66 i think. is this gonna possibly fry my vid card or do it damage?

EDIT: can i use AS3 as the conducting material when i unlock? i don't wanna spend 16 bucks on that conducting grease like in the unlock guide.

thx...thats pretty much free and i can choose any multiplier...what is a relatively safe one to choose?

12 would get it running at about the same speed as your current overclock, but at 133fsb.

12 or 12.5 should be okay,and you can coax a little bit more speed by raising the fsb again.

squads said:
EDIT: can i use AS3 as the conducting material when i unlock? i don't wanna spend 16 bucks on that conducting grease like in the unlock guide.

No. i have tried and it doesnt work.

LBJGH said:
Have you tried the wire-in-socket method over at www.ocinside.de

You have to unlock your chip FIRST! This method does not work with chips that have not been unlocked.

There is a wire method for unlocking your cpu's. You basically use itty bitty wires to connect your bridges and secure them with sticky tack. There was a thread about that around here soemwhere. I could never get it to work, but a few people did. You can use generic thermal paste (that white goop stuff) to fill your gaps... and as for conductive stuff... you can go to a local auto-parts store and see if they have rear-window defoger repair kits. It is conductive ink, and you can just use a needle to put it on your processor.

Back