• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping/general results...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Just figured I'd add another positive result, and an actual post of my overclock results.. as I haven't yet... and I just replaced my hsf.

I replaced my Volcano 6Cu with a smaller copper heatsink that has at least four times as many fins, and much thinner fins. I have a much more powerful fan on it as well (30cfm as comparible to 15-18cfm). I needed to lap it, as it was a solid copper block that the heatsink came from, and had horrible machining marks on the bottom (was polished from the manufacture to look shiny).

I was able to do around 2245mhz on the volcano when I first set it up, however, the fan couldn't keep up. Temps then were generally around 46-48°C.

The new sink initially (before lap) was giving me 47°C temps. (All temps are load). Lapping dropped my load temps to 41.5°C while running at 2100mhz with .2 less voltage then when at 2245mhz. And it is much more stable. Completely stable in fact.

I need to duct my cpu fan to get another degree or two off load temps, and possibly up my multiplier a little (FSB is sketchy due to harddrive limitations/PCI overclock).

Given my parts, I think I've done well...

-Frank

Back