• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my Swifty MCX462-V, but....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lyle

the darn thing doesn't fit.

Let me explain, I've been using Socket A HSF's on my P4 setups for a long time using an adapter bracket. I've used SK7's, SLK800A's and most recently 900A's with no problem. I was a little excited when the new apparent king-of-the-air-cooling-hill was introduced so I bought one.

Now, however, when I tried to mount the Swifty, it appears as if the lugs on the adapter bracket sit closer to the plane of the IHS than they do on an actual Socket A socket. What this means is when I unscrew the tension screws to apply proper HSF-to-proc pressure (by the springs), there isn't enough pressure between the HSF and the proc. In fact, there isn't ANY pressure between the HSF and the proc. I can lift up on the Swifty with full spring tension applied. I can't unscrew the tension bolts anymore because the socket lug brackets are bottomed out against the base of the Swifty. I removed the mobo to see what the problem was, and I can see space between the IHS and the Swifty.

There is nothing I can do about this. I will have to wait until the P4 version is available. And this thing looks so beautiful, with the splayed pins and shiny base. I guess all is not lost as I will try to mount this beast on my Tually Celly. I'm disappointed, I was really hoping to try this thing out and see how much better it performs versus an SLK900A.

Too bad.. You'll be able to sell that thing in no time over at the Classifieds boards though, so theres a positive!

I've always stuck to using heatsinks designed for the 478 socket, but hey, thats me and my wanting to make the least effort of everything!

Back