• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestions...Celeron 400Mhz OC Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Hey all, im going ahead and starting a new project and need some Heatsink advise. Im going to start using my old Celeron 400Mhz and see if I cant OC it to 700Mhz, of course on an Abit BH6 mobo! Now what heatsink would be best for this and where to buy one.

Thanks!

P.S. I am going to be using one of those target special plastic storage containers for the case! Complete mod!

Well, AMDs get so much hotter than Intels that pretty much any mediocre AMD sink will do. I think as long as you get something with a copper bottom that you'll get the best results you're going to get. You may not get to 700 but getting the top of the line sink may not get you there either. So I say find whatever is the cheapest copper-bottomed AMD rated sink you can and go with that. I hear the SK-6 is cheap now.

All of them or just yours? I have a Celly 700, it's socket 370, but I stick with AMD for the most part. I just assumed all Cellys could be either. Can't help with Slot sink suggestions, sorry. I've seen them around but never paid them much mind. My original advice may still have some value though. I know Sockets 370 and 462 are close enough in shape to allow a sink made for one to fit on the lugs of the other, maybe you should look at Slot A sinks and see what AMD coolers have to offer in the way of beefy slot cooling.

under my bed, i still have an Intel celeron 400MHZ computer ( forget what type of mobo it is )

i havn't booted that thing up in a LONG time. it should still work, hasn't taken any damage. and the last time i used it.....it worked perfectly.

i should try to OC that thing...then set it up as a seti cruncher......lol.

but i have no room for it in my room.

we are moving to a new house soon. i'll have my own room now, and maybe i can find more space for it......set it up, put a small HDD on it.....and try to OC it.....and crunch away......couldn't hurt.

and i'm guessing a regular AMD HS would work perfectly for this Processor. and just get a good fan. the fan on my current system runs at 7,500 rpms. so i'm used to the sound.....so a second computer HSF running at almost any speed.....i wouldn't be able to hear it.

good luck with overclocking it. give us updates on it, if you get it up to 700MHZ.

eobard said:
All of them or just yours? I have a Celly 700, it's socket 370, but I stick with AMD for the most part. I just assumed all Cellys could be either. Can't help with Slot sink suggestions, sorry. I've seen them around but never paid them much mind. My original advice may still have some value though. I know Sockets 370 and 462 are close enough in shape to allow a sink made for one to fit on the lugs of the other, maybe you should look at Slot A sinks and see what AMD coolers have to offer in the way of beefy slot cooling.

I believe that Intel made Celerons in the range of 300-433mhz in both Slot 1 and S370. The 266mhz was only Slot 1, while anything higher than 433 were Socket.
I know the Celeron 400 was made in both Slot 1 and Socket 370, because I have a pair of S370 400's sitting in an Abit BP6. ;)

I just used the stock heatsink with my friends and hung a Panaflo off the PSU wires... Ghetto, but works great.

Ok I have found the Abit BH6 and the Cely in a hidden box in the garage (wife found it actually), so im building the system tonight and I will report back my OC results. I actually have more fun getting slower systems to perform well for todays apps then I do just building a high end system.

P.S. eobard, relax man...I was just asking if someone was selling anything, if they were I am sure they would have pointed me to thier for sale thread in the classified section. Dont go being robocop on us now ;)

Back