• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazing volcano 9 keeps CPU alive for weeks with dead fan!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Ok, I really didn't have much respect for these, but I just swapped CPU's in my friend's box. She had an 1800+ unlocked palomino. I sold it, and bought her a 1600+ palomino. Anyway, her temps had been very high for weeks (I'm talking 60C while folding@home), and I just figured the motheboard was reporting inaccurately.

Turns out I fired up the new CPU with the side panel off and found out the Volcano 9's fan was not spinning.... its power connector was loose. I was getting up towards 60C again with a moderate overclock one minute after booting into windows. That's when I noticed the apparently dead Smart fan II and hit the power switch.

Anyway, it seems the Volcano 9 kept an XP @ 1641 alive and folding@home 24/7 in a hot room (average 85F-90F in that room) for several weeks, without a spinning fan, in a box that has only 2 case fans anyway.

The only other aid to thus amazing story of CPU survival is that the box was sitting on top of a minifridge and that some cold from the fridge would naturally have transferred to the metal of the computer case (but not much).

volcano 9's suck, they are sooooooo loud and they dont even cool that well, that cpu is alive because 1600+ arent that hot

dano said:
volcano 9's suck, they are sooooooo loud and they dont even cool that well, that cpu is alive because 1600+ arent that hot

1600+'s don't run cool enough to use a passive heatsink, however.

Stroke of luck there Arkaine! And you gained some WU while it was running fanless!

There are only 2 generic 80mm's that do 29cfm. One exahust in the back and one intake in the front. Case cooling is horrible and I always kept the side panel cracked open and leaning against a CD tower storage thingy. Putting your hand near this machine, you could feel its heat...

I just can't believe it was stable for weeks and weeks at 60C with 1.82v @ 1641mhz.

Arkaine23 said:
I just can't believe it was stable for weeks and weeks at 60C with 1.82v @ 1641mhz.

Why can't you believe it? I bet a Compaq or similar OEM computer runs close to 60C. People freak out too much about temperatures.

speedy4500 said:

Why can't you believe it? I bet a Compaq or similar OEM computer runs close to 60C. People freak out too much about temperatures.

amen, i bought a Compaq really cheap for parts.... came with an XP 2600+ that thing would idle at about 55c.

Ah chalk one up for AMD living without a fan.

I know Intel brags that their chips can do this, and its been a while since AMD has been able to.

Twigs said:
why did she sell a 1800+ and buy a 1600+?

That would be complicated to explain. It had to do with some wheeling and dealing I did in order to get 2 1800+ tbreds for a total expense of $2. I'll sum it up- I sold some palominos and spirfires I had, and a modem and volcano 2 HSF. I made enough on these sales to get 2 Tbreds. I also made a trade- my friend's palomino and $20 for my old Tbred.

Essentially, I got rid of some CPU's I wasn't using and gave a person on the folding team 2 palominos for his new farm. Some of the machines involved on my end are kt266a chipsets, so low-speed Tbred's are wasted on them without bridge-modding. I was able to replace the palomino's I sold with new palominos, and got 2 new Tbreds in the process.

2 of my personal machines were upgraded with new Tbreds.
My roomate's machine (with the Volcano 9) is running at the same speed it was before.
One of my friends got to upgrade his box with on of my old Tbreds.

And I spent almost nothing.

Wow,

Say arkaine, I've got some 486 mobos, some networking parts and a few spare shirtbuttons. Can you get me a house? :D :D :D

Heh, back on topic, that makes me wonder if you got one of those mobile tbreds, whether a decapitated volcano 9 would be good for them in a fanless multimedia box.... hmmmm

Road Warrior

Might well do the trick RoadWarrior... you could always get a 120mm fan, volt mod it, then duct it (that way, temps would be better, plus it would be silent)

Thats not very impressive, case airflow basicly save the cpu from accumalting too much heat, what heatsink you use wouldn't really make much of a difference as long as they are all the same volume/surface area. the design might help though if the fins allow air to pass through in the direction of case airflow.

i had my 2100+ tbred (underclocked to 1800+ @1.5v) run with a thermaltake crystal orb for 15min! it was able to run pcmark with that on. Sure, the fan was screaming at 5000rpm, but it was still entertaining to watch. temps went a little over 60c but stayed under 65c (cpu shut off set temp). would have tested it longer, but my mounting method was finger pressure, and it got too hot to hold.

would have tested it longer, but my mounting method was finger pressure, and it got too hot to hold.

What, you held a hs down for 15 minutes? Your hand must have been pretty bad after that. I've had celerons live for some hours with no hs fan, stock cooler, and only psu, one output and one intake fan.

Back