• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon to Athlon XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kibogaoka

I currently have an Athlon @ 1202Mhz. I want an Athlon XP/ Will I have to get another motherboard before I get an XP? They are both Socket A right? I need this info FAST. Maybe not FAST, but fast. b4 October 29th.

Your nForce2 takes all Athlon XPs.

Here's what to get:

c627627 said:
You can pay 40-something dollars and end up with a good chip.
We're talking guaranteed in writing Thoroughbred B.

There are no DUT3C 1600+, 1700+, 1800+, 1900+ A's but
2000+ and 2100+ DUT3C can be either an A or B and Newegg is the only place that clearly says
Type: 2100 XP Thoroughbred (revision B)

and they cost $9 cheaper than excaliberpc.com 1800+.

After all this time it appears that it's still the same choice of three:

1. 1700+ out of pocket cost $49 for guaranteed B: http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=267 (because it's 40% cheaper than guaranteed DLT3C B)

2. 2100+ guaranteed B at Newegg (because it's $9 cheaper than guaranteed DLT3C B at excaliberpc.com)

3. You laugh at 40% cheaper and $9 cheaper part? Then spend $ on 2500+ Barton

Deathknight said:
What is your motherboard currently?

I think Deathknight is right. I don't think he's asking about Asus nForce2.
I think Kibogaoka thinks all mobos have the same (in)compatibility's with all CPUs.

They're all different. There are even mobos that only take Athlon XP Palomino and not Athlon XP Thoroughbred or Barton.

Definitely check your mobo manufacturer's web site for CPU compatibility before purchasing.

Kibogaoka, the socket 'A' platform has not changed from the time it was introduced (spring 2000) to now.

If you get any current motherboard, all current and previously released socket 'A' CPU's will be supported. (Unlike the other company)

Yeah I was tricked at first my his sig until I noticed that his sig lists the system he wants, not what he currently has. The nforce2 board in your sig will definatly handle your current athlon and all the athlon xp chips though Kibogaoka.

LBJGH said:
Kibogaoka, the socket 'A' platform has not changed from the time it was introduced (spring 2000) to now.

If you get any current motherboard, all current and previously released socket 'A' CPU's will be supported. (Unlike the other company)

No. it will fit and RUN yes. stock speed? maybe.. meybe not. I could stick a 3200+ in my ECS k7s5a, but couldnt run it past 150/150 FSB. the FSB is MUCH different. This mobo only supports a 2400+ as max. it will run greater ones, but you would have to either:
A:) adjust multi to get speed, with lower FSB
B:) run at a slower speed
C:) get new mobo supporting faster FSB speeds.

maybe its me.. but uhhh
ASUS 7NJL4 nForce 2 Deluxe <----

ASUS board is called A7N8X Deluxe

and the 7NJL4 is the chaintech board ;x hehe

cherryp00t said:
maybe its me.. but uhhh
ASUS 7NJL4 nForce 2 Deluxe <----

ASUS board is called A7N8X Deluxe

and the 7NJL4 is the chaintech board ;x hehe

Sry, that was a mistake when i was updating it. Thanks. I have a sucky Compaq mobo. So, I could buy an XP now, then get a new mobo later? It'd work now, even though it would be slower, it'd have to be faster than what I have.

yes it will be fine.. at stock speeds ;d cuz those OEM computers have no OCing adjustments in the bios.. so you're bascially running the chip at stock.. you prob will have problems with a barton on that board.. not sure about XP.. perhaps you can tell us how old the board is =p

Is there a name on that mobo, there's no such thing as a Compaq mobo.

Tell you what, download this:
http://www.aida32.hu/download/aida32ee_380.zip

Then run it by clicking on
aida32.exe > Motherboard > Motherboard > It should tell you the brand of your mobo.

Compaq computers probably have dozens upon dozens different mobos in their systems. Saying it's a Compaq will it run? is like saying it's a General Motors car, will it fit? GM makes trucks. It also makes compact cars... Download AIDA32 and give it a shot if you don't want to open your Compaq case.

the kt133 (not kt133a) is a terrible chipset and will not run any xp at its rated speed, if it runs them at all, the one kt133 i had was a fic az11 and it did not support xps at all

LBJGH said:
Actually I had an Asus A7V (kt133) chipset that ran flawlessly... never had a problem. As a matter of fact I just gave my buddy a 2400+ to run on his A7V and it worked just fine thank you. He currently has the 2400+ running at 2.2ghz on the A7V.

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/forum/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=tweaking

Show me an other 3-1/2yr old Intel based mobo that'll run a current Intel CPU.

I've got a 2100 that's about to go to my brother's A7V.

Asus has a nac for things like this. I had an old Pentium mobo with EDO RAM running a K6-2 at 500mhz. That was something.

dippy_skoodlez said:
eeeww.. thats pc133 isnt it? Thats not even worth it.,. get an nforce 2 =) I think it maxes out at 200fsb.. if not then its 266... means up to the 2400+ I believe on 266...

Depends upon the mobo. I got a new Shuttle AN35N Ultra, and it supports up to a 400 fsb. Right now it's only at 266 because I have my old CPU and RAM still in it, but when I upgrade, it's going to 333.

Back